Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Moen today announced that its U by Moen smart shower system is receiving several upgrades for compatibility with voice assistants, making it easy to turn on and adjust your shower simply by speaking.

u_by_moen.jpg

The most notable addition for Apple users is HomeKit support, which will reportedly come to U by Moen this quarter, to be followed by Google Assistant integration. U by Moen is already compatible with Amazon Alexa, but Moen is announcing improved integration as a Smart Home Skill, unlocking more intuitive commands.
To activate U by Moen shower, users can ask their voice assistant to remotely start, stop and pause the shower with the sound of their voice. Once they have created personalized presets in the U by Moen app, homeowners simply state the name of the preset or specify a specific water temperature for the shower within the command. [...]

- Apple HomeKit: Users can ask Siri to remotely start the shower, saying "Siri, turn on my shower," or "Siri, start preset 'Post-Workout Shower.'"
U by Moen was initially shown off at CES 2017, with the smart capabilities managed through smartphone apps. CES 2018 saw the announcement of Alexa and Siri support for the "first half of 2018," but Siri integration obviously didn't arrive in that timeframe, so here's hoping this year's announced timing is a bit more on target.

U by Moen is available at an MSRP of $1,225 for a two-outlet version or $2,265 for a four-outlet version, and that doesn't include any shower heads or installation by a plumbing professional, so it doesn't come cheaply. But for those who might already be considering a bathroom remodel and want the ultimate in smart home technology, U by Moen might be worth a look.

Article Link: CES 2019: U by Moen Smart Shower Set to Gain Long-Promised HomeKit Update

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

Moen today announced that its U by Moen smart shower system is receiving several upgrades for compatibility with voice assistants, making it easy to turn on and adjust your shower simply by speaking.

u_by_moen.jpg

The most notable addition for Apple users is HomeKit support, which will reportedly come to U by Moen this quarter, to be followed by Google Assistant integration. U by Moen is already compatible with Amazon Alexa, but Moen is announcing improved integration as a Smart Home Skill, unlocking more intuitive commands.U by Moen was initially shown off at CES 2017, with the smart capabilities managed through smartphone apps. CES 2018 saw the announcement of Alexa and Siri support for the "first half of 2018," but Siri integration obviously didn't arrive in that timeframe, so here's hoping this year's announced timing is a bit more on target.

U by Moen is available at an MSRP of $1,225 for a two-outlet version or $2,265 for a four-outlet version, and that doesn't include any shower heads or installation by a plumbing professional, so it doesn't come cheaply. But for those who might already be considering a bathroom remodel and want the ultimate in smart home technology, U by Moen might be worth a look.

Article Link: CES 2019: U by Moen Smart Shower Set to Gain Long-Promised HomeKit Update
Wow that’s just.... dumb. One of those situations when they add technology to something that’s work really well and is tachtile.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Call it whatever you want, it still involves setting up, then trouble shooting bugs, and installing updates to save turning a knob.
God forbid the Wifi is down lol

I just look at the shower and it looks like it waste water. In drought prone Cali that’s a no go for me

Edit: wtf I’m seeing google plumbing ads really?????

Attachments

• 9ECA7CD9-6001-41DF-A7DF-753B29164C3E.png
    9ECA7CD9-6001-41DF-A7DF-753B29164C3E.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,111

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
An open request to Mac Rumors editors. When reviewing products from CES, make sure you give ALL specifications for the products discussed. Otherwise, the articles are crap. Besides features, I also want SPECIFICATIONS of the products.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
To activate U by Moen shower, users can ask their voice assistant to remotely start, stop and pause the shower with the sound of their voice. [..] Users can ask Siri to remotely start the shower, saying "Siri, turn on my shower," or "Siri, start preset 'Post-Workout Shower.'"

Woooooow

(Isn’t “moen” a bit on the nose for a massage showerhead?)

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
An open request to Mac Rumors editors. When reviewing products from CES, make sure you give ALL specifications for the products discussed. Otherwise, the articles are crap. Besides features, I also want SPECIFICATIONS of the products.

Specifications of what? You want to know the MHz the ARM chip that communicates with HomeKit runs at?
[doublepost=1546848048][/doublepost]
You have to think of it in the scenes aspect. Tell Siri good morning and it brings up your lights, turns on the coffee pot and brings up a shower to temperature

Makes sense, maybe, for a bathtub, where that can take several minutes. For a shower, it takes, what, ten seconds? What’s there to schedule and prepare?

This seems like an eco-hostile, pricey gimmick.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
The installation doesn’t seem terribly complicated. The worst part of it is running the data cable from the controller in the shower to the valve panel. You get 30 feet to work with and the valve panel has to be user-accessible, like a breaker panel. You don’t have to use any special kind of shower heads either.

mgmacius

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Can’t wait for the connected toilet roll dispenser. It should talk to the toilet seat and based on the amount and other characteristics of the... content dispense required amount of paper. Or some other bs like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.