CES 2020: AirPods Pro Get New Noise-Cancelling Earphone Competition

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just over two months after Apple released AirPods Pro with active noise cancellation, several brands are introducing competitors at CES 2020.

Panasonic, Technics, and 1MORE are among the brands that have announced truly wireless earphones with active noise cancellation in Las Vegas this week, and more will likely follow as the show floor opens Tuesday.

Panasonic

Panasonic says its new RZ-S500W earphones feature "industry-leading noise cancellation," achieved through a combination of feedforward noise cancellation, feedback noise cancellation, and digital and analog processing. These technologies work together to minimize noise generated both inside and outside the ear buds.

A touch sensor on the earphones enables users to switch between Ambient Sound mode, Noise Cancelling mode, and Off with the tap of a finger. Ambient Sound mode sounds like Transparency mode on the AirPods Pro, which allows you to simultaneously listen to music while still hearing the environment around you.

Panasonic has also unveiled a pair of truly wireless earphones under its Technics brand. The EAH-AZ70W earphones feature the same noise cancellation technology and Ambient Sound mode as the RZ-S500W, plus IPX4-rated splash resistance and a new, graphene-coated dynamic driver unit for improved sound.

Technics

Both the RZ-S500W and EAH-AZ70W earphones will be available in June, according to Panasonic, but pricing has yet to be disclosed.

1MORE's truly wireless earphones feature two levels of active noise cancelation, utilizing the same hybrid technology as the Panasonic and Technics earphones. They are also the first truly wireless earphones with pending THX certification, meaning their sound quality has passed a variety of tests by THX.

1MORE

1MORE's earphones also have an optional pass-through mode that lets in ambient noise while listening to music.

Article Link: CES 2020: AirPods Pro Get New Noise-Cancelling Earphone Competition

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
There’s always will be competition to the AirPod Pros, and that includes a variety of ‘pricing segments’, but what Apple has going for them, is the marketing is really strong for the AirPods. I mean, look at these other brands, I’ve never heard of any them before (Yes, I pay attention to all tech competitors), what marketing do they have consumers would know about? There’s a lot of options out there for Bluetooth earbuds, but consumers will likely purchase what they see/hear about.

Not to mention, I think the first GEN AirPods were so successful, they really initiated something into what the Pros developed into, which I think helps the success of the current AirPods.

Reactions: SDJim

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
snip...
I mean, look at these other brands, I’ve never heard of any them before (Yes, I pay attention to all tech competitors), what marketing do they have consumers would know about? There’s a lot of options out there for Bluetooth earbuds, but consumers will likely purchase what they see/hear about.
Two of the brands mentioned in this article have bee around a h!$% of a lot longer than Apple.
Panasonic since 1918.
Technics since 1965.

Last edited:

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Just like Fitbit was “competition” to the Apple Watch, until Apple redefined what utility on the wrist meant and Fitbit found itself increasingly unable to compete.

The AirPods are fast becoming computers you wear in your ears. I predict we will be seeing a similar paradigm shift in the coming years, with the AirPods redefining what it means to have wireless earbuds in your ears.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Just like Fitbit was “competition” to the Apple Watch, until Apple redefined what utility on the wrist meant and Fitbit found itself increasingly unable to compete.

The AirPods are fast becoming computers you wear in your ears. I predict we will be seeing a similar paradigm shift in the coming years, with the AirPods redefining what it means to have wireless earbuds in your ears.
That ‘paradigm shift’ you’re mentioning with the AirPods will eventually corroborate with the AR Glasses and Apple Watch. Google acquiring Fitbit was great example, these smaller competitors can’t complete against Apple, there’s a reason why they are dominating the wearable market. Soon those who have consistently doubted Apples success with these Products, will all see why these smaller companies are drowning. This is just the start, the Pros will be much more than just ‘Bluetooth’ earbuds in the future.

Reactions: Abazigal

7thson

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
The 1More’s look interesting. I’m not holding out hope the THX branding isn’t just that but if it’s legit this will be reflected in the price. The inclusion of wings/fins for stabilizing the fit is a big plus to me. I have finicky ears that need more than just a ear canal to hold the ear bud. AirPods are great for non aerobic use for me but if they made a charging case that allowed for the AirPods to be fitted with a wing/fin I would buy it. There’s no way to make a one size fits all product here, but flexibility in the charging case for adapters would go a long way toward addressing that.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Melbourne, AU
I mean, look at these other brands, I’ve never heard of any them before (Yes, I pay attention to all tech competitors), what marketing do they have consumers would know about?
You have not heard of Panasonic? One of the largest Japanese multinationals which, along with Sony, rules the consumer electronics world in the 80s. Absolutely staggering.

Either you are jesting or you have no idea what you’re talking about...

SDJim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2017
San Diego, CA
You have not heard of Panasonic? One of the largest Japanese multinationals which, along with Sony, rules the consumer electronics world in the 80s. Absolutely staggering.

Either you are jesting or you have no idea what you’re talking about...
I assumed he meant the other two, neither of which I had heard of before...

Reactions: Relentless Power

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
I have. Technics And 1More I’m not familiarized with.
Technics is huge especially for turntablism. Maybe you’re too young to be familiar but it was prominent in hip hop culture.

1more is relatively new to the scene, so I’ll give you that. I have one of their IEMs that I bought off massdrop, and it sounds better than anything Apple has to offer. Convenience though is a different story as it’s wired.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Technics is huge especially for turntablism. Maybe you’re too young to be familiar but it was prominent in hip hop culture.

1more is relatively new to the scene, so I’ll give you that. I have one of their IEMs that I bought off massdrop, and it sounds better than anything Apple has to offer. Convenience though is a different story as it’s wired.
Thanks for the info. I’m just genuinely not familiar with either one of those earbud manufacturers. I’m not knocking them, I’m simply just saying that the probably not competition on Apple’s level, probably more of other competitors that we generally don’t see marketing on (i.e Panasonic). In terms of marketing against the AirPods, that would probably be more to the level of JBL/Samsung/beats/Bose, etc.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

sorry Microsoft - in terms of functionality has Apple beat there already. In ear language translation, oh doesn’t Google do this also? Habrá as vo2 max detection with heart rate in their headphones for 3yrs now.
Noise cancelling is not new and Apple is getting better yet slow to release new tech.

you’ll see more synergies between the Watch being the mobile computer, glasses being the display and headphones being mic and listening.
- - Post merged: - -

Thanks for the info. I’m just genuinely not familiar with either one of those earbud manufacturers. I’m not knocking them, I’m simply just saying that the probably not competition on Apple’s level, probably more of other competitors that we generally don’t see marketing on (i.e Panasonic). In terms of marketing against the AirPods, that would probably be more to the level of JBL/Samsung/beats/Bose, etc.
mill say these or at Apples competition level while the Sony WF-1000XM3’s are better at full range sound reproduction and better at NC overall ... the suction cup action of their ANC needs improvement yet not as bad as others in this game. I cannot wait for the XM4’s.

the microphones on the AAPsfall below AirPods and I’m very upset about it in a loud gym when I need to record voice notes in my workouts.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
sorry Microsoft - in terms of functionality has Apple beat there already. In ear language translation, oh doesn’t Google do this also? Habrá as vo2 max detection with heart rate in their headphones for 3yrs now.
Noise cancelling is not new and Apple is getting better yet slow to release new tech.

you’ll see more synergies between the Watch being the mobile computer, glasses being the display and headphones being mic and listening.
Microsoft and Google largely face the same issues - nobody wants to be seen wearing their products. Meanwhile, the AirPods are still out of stock, and people are actually complaining online about how they were gifted “fake” AirPods.

When it comes to wearables, you need the sort of design-led corporate culture that Apple is renowned for, and which many companies lack. You have to make your customers want to be seen in public wearing your wearable products.

And in this regard, Apple has already won the (more) important half of the battle.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
I have. Technics And 1More I’m not familiarized with.
Tehnics has been around for a long time. They were Panasonic's higher end brand for home audio equipment like Stereo receivers, cassette decks and CD players. They also had their professional DJ turntable line of 1200s which were incredibly popular. If you walked into any Best Buy in the 90s or 80s they shelves were full of Tehnics stuff as were most electronic depts.