CES 2020: Arlo Debuts New Wire-Free Pro 3 Floodlight Camera

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Arlo today unveiled its all-new Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight, the first wire-free variant of the camera on the market. Chosen as a CES 2020 Innovation Award Honoree, the device includes a variety of features that help identify who or what is outside a user's home or business.

The Pro 3's powerful LEDs illuminate a wide area and can be activated by motion or manually using the Arlo iOS app, from which users can zoom in on objects and see clear details and colors in 2K HDR, live or as recorded video.

Thanks to a dedicated ambient light sensor, the floodlight camera can also automatically measure the amount of surrounding light and dynamically adjust brightness accordingly, which has the added benefit of conserving battery life.

The camera has a 160-degree diagonal field of view, as well as color night vision with the option to see in traditional black and white, while two-way audio allows users to speak to and hear visitors.

A built-in smart siren can be manually triggered remotely or automatically during an event, and users can customize the floodlight and camera settings to suit. The camera is also powered by a long-lasting rechargeable battery for wire-free convenience.

The Arlo Pro 3 Wire-Free Floodlight Camera will be available to purchase in Spring 2020 at an MSRP of $249.99.

Article Link: CES 2020: Arlo Debuts New Wire-Free Pro 3 Floodlight Camera

Last edited:

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
Not digging wireless tbh, usually wireless comes with various shortcomings not just the need to recharge.

Edit: Wireless power that is, I know having wired Ethernet can be very inconvenient.

Reactions: Sandstorm

munpip214

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
The camera debuts this spring for a competitive (though not spectacular) $250. As with many connected security cams, though, you may want a subscription to make the most of the Pro 3 Floodlight Camera. You only get a three-month trial of Arlo Smart, which offers a rolling 30 days of cloud recordings plus upgraded object detection. After that, you're looking at $3 per month for one camera ($10 per month for up to five) to maintain those perks.
- - Post merged: - -

Well if it uses the same base as other HomeKit Arlo then maybe they will add it soon. No HomeKit secure video for now for sure.

4jasontv

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2011
What makes HomeKit a make or break feature?
1. Security
2. Compatibility
3. Ecosystem Agnostic
4. Core iOS integration

I really wish MR would start tagging these IoT devices with “HomeKit” or “Non-HomeKit” when referring to hardware by name. Having an iOS app is no longer sufficient for Apple relevance.

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
i googled for more info. The headline at TechCrunch is amusing:

Arlo adds a big passive-aggressive floodlight to its camera so that you can scare your neighbors

• Haha
Reactions: brgjoe

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I would assume so. All the other Arlos today have it.

1. Security
2. Compatibility
3. Ecosystem Agnostic
4. Core iOS integration

I really wish MR would start tagging these IoT devices with “HomeKit” or “Non-HomeKit” when referring to hardware by name. Having an iOS app is no longer sufficient for Apple relevance.
Yup. Homekit is a must for me now. If I hadn't bought Nests a long time ago, I would be switching to Ecobees which work with Homekit

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Yup. Homekit is a must for me now. If I hadn't bought Nests a long time ago, I would be switching to Ecobees which work with Homekit
I started my smart home setup with Amazon Echos, a Nest thermostat, Blink cameras, and a Ring doorbell and Ring Floodlight cam. Shortly after I installed my Nest thermostat, Google purchased Nest.

I am a big fan of the Homekit ecosystem because of Apple's emphasis on privacy and I have now replaced all my Echos with HomePods, my Blink cameras with Homekit compatible Eufy 2C cameras w/ local storage (soon to be Homekit Secure Video compatible) and an Ecobee 3 Lite (no Alexa) thermostat. My next project is to replace my Ring Doorbell and Floodlight cam as soon as Eufy (or someone else) releases a Homekit compatible versions. From now on I am not buying any IoT devices unless they are truly Homekit compatible (not just an iOS app).

serpico007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2017
Arlo promises Homekit support and takes its time to update. They released new cameras recently with no Homekit support but gave it to their older Pro2 and Ultra cameras. No thanks, probably be buggy as their current stuff.

ryanmp

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
I’ve owned multiple Arlo systems over the years and now with Arlo Ultra.

Unfortunately HomeKit integration is just an afterthought for Arlo. They are painfully slow to add features. I’ve been hoping for Siri Shortcut integration to at least allow Arlo to be armed/disarmed on iOS but they seem to be focused on Alexa at the moment.

If you are locked in with HomeKit I’d look elsewhere.

Reactions: Seoras

McG2k1

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Do they let law enforcement view my camera recorded and/or live like Ring?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The Arlo Pro 3 Wire-Free Floodlight Camera will be available to purchase in Spring 2020 at an MSRP of $249.99.”

I like that it’s flood light and camera synced together, but that price though....

The thing is, does someone really need both? I like the concept of the combination of both, but I have an awesome spotlight set-up as is for my backyard, (I assume others do as well), which leads me to just consider an external wired camera by itself without the need to upgrade to Arlo. Plus, I would be interested to see how the quality of the camera is compared to other options.

Do the police have a reason to want to see your CCTV footage? 😁

Anyways, I’d say your question is suited for Arlo, not Macrumors.

[FYI-Also, L.E. Needs a warrant to access your video footage.]

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Nest better Sh** or get off the pot with HomeKit. About to sell all my Nest products and buy something else. Arlo is starting to look pretty good, but I truly like full time recording of Nest.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
New York City
I would assume so. All the other Arlos today have it.

incorrect...Pro 3 still don’t have homekit support and it was promised...have 4 of those and still waiting...really hate when they promise it and don’t deliver, already burned with ring...I agree no homekit no sale going forward!

gplusplus

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2018
Yes, just like Ring. So no, not live.

And just like any other camera, even non-internet-connected cameras.

I must say, the smear campaign against Ring was quite successful. Many people truly believe that law enforcement can just look at any Ring camera and recordings that they want, but it’s simply not true. Just like any other camera and recording, they can look at anything you explicitly allow them to. The only difference is that Ring has also provided a software platform to law enforcement to help them do it. So they can make a request for footage for specific cameras during a specific timeline and you will receive a notification via email and on the Ring Neighbors app. You can review all the footage and accept or reject the request. The request requires citing a case number of a crime that happened within 0.5 miles of your home and is limited to a 12 hour window. As far as the “they can keep it forever” scare, well yea, that’s common sense!

This is the same thing as an officer knocking on your door and politely asking you to share your footage from your CCTV cameras.

colticus

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Yep, That was the main reason I originally went with them. I refuse another subscription so looks like ill be stuck with 1080p.

Bistroengine

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Why not make the switch? I ditched my Nest for an Ecobee 3 light a couple years ago and love it. The Ecobee 3 light isn't terribly expensive compared to other smart thermostats. Can probably be had for about $99 bucks when they go on sale around the holidays.

McG2k1

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Yes, just like Ring. So no, not live.

And just like any other camera, even non-internet-connected cameras.

I must say, the smear campaign against Ring was quite successful. Many people truly believe that law enforcement can just look at any Ring camera and recordings that they want, but it’s simply not true. Just like any other camera and recording, they can look at anything you explicitly allow them to. The only difference is that Ring has also provided a software platform to law enforcement to help them do it. So they can make a request for footage for specific cameras during a specific timeline and you will receive a notification via email and on the Ring Neighbors app. You can review all the footage and accept or reject the request. The request requires citing a case number of a crime that happened within 0.5 miles of your home and is limited to a 12 hour window. As far as the “they can keep it forever” scare, well yea, that’s common sense!

This is the same thing as an officer knocking on your door and politely asking you to share your footage from your CCTV cameras.
honestly none of that makes it any better for me.

gplusplus

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2018
honestly none of that makes it any better for me.
Then don’t use any cameras whatsoever. Law enforcement can request anything they want. So if you’re afraid of requests, just don’t even use any cameras.