Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

CES 2020: Lutron Debuts New Accessories for HomeKit-Compatible Caseta Line

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lutron is adding two new accessories to its Caseta line of HomeKit-enabled light bulbs and switches, introducing the Caseta Smart Motion Sensor and the Caseta Repeater.

The Smart Motion Sensor is designed to control lights and the Lutron Serena shades wirelessly, turning devices on and off when motion is sensed. One motion sensor is able to control any number of Caseta smart switches dimmers, fans, and smart shades.

According to Lutron, its motion sensor can detect motion three times better than competing products, with a 180-degree field of view. The wireless sensor can be mounted anywhere, and customized light levels can be set for each device controlled by the sensor. No charging is required, and there's a 10-year battery life.

The Caseta Repeater expands the range of the Caseta system by 60 feet when it's placed within 60 feet of a Caseta Smart Bridge. It works plugged in to any outlet, and works alongside the Plug-in Dimmer, which also functions as a repeater. The Motion Sensor and Repeater are not HomeKit-enabled themselves, but do work with HomeKit-enabled Caseta accessories.

Lutron says the Caseta Smart Motion Sensor and Caseta Repeater will be available online at the beginning of February. The Motion Sensor will be priced at $50, while the Repeater will be priced at $75.

Article Link: CES 2020: Lutron Debuts New Accessories for HomeKit-Compatible Caseta Line

Last edited:

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
will the motion sensor be "exposed" to homekit directly or it will be available only through the Lutron app similar to Pico switches?

I cane here to ask exactly this. Would be great to get some clarity!

Comment

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
My Lutron equipment is the most stable Homekit accessories I've used. Periodically a Hue light or dimmer switch will drop off the Hue hub and I have to fiddle through multiple machinations to get it re-paired. Meanwhile, the Lutron gear is solid and never misbehaves.

Comment

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
Knowing how stable my Lutron Caseta switches and dimmers are, I don't think it will much of a loss if the motion detector isn't directly HomeKit compatible, since they would be controlling a Caseta switch or would potentially also get converted to Caseta to make this work.

Comment

macuser996655

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
can it be used outdoors? I would like the motion sensor to turn on external lights which is controlled by a lutron casetta switch.

Comment

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
can it be used outdoors? I would like the motion sensor to turn on external lights which is controlled by a lutron casetta switch.

There isn’t enough information to say whether or not can be used outdoors; the best that I’ve used so far is the Hue Outdoor motion sensor setup in HomeKit for automation and control of lights rather than through the Hue app. There is an instance where it picks up too far out beyond the sidewalk, and I cover part of the sensor with black electrical tape to reduce the range because reducing sensitivity isn’t enough due to house elevation and distance to the street. At 8’ high, it really does reach 40’ out.

Comment

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
$75 for the repeater? The plug in wall dimmer, which also works as a range extender, is only $50.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.