CES 2020: Plugable Launches 100W Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Docking Station

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Plugable today announced the upcoming launch of the Plugable TBT3-UDZ, a Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Docking Station that offers 100W power delivery, making it suitable for Apple's most powerful notebooks like the new 16-inch MacBook Pro.

The Plugable TBT3-UDZ allows for two additional 4K displays to be connected to a Mac using HDMI or DisplayPort without the need for an external adapter, and there are a total of 14 ports.

There are 2x DisplayPort 1.4 or 2x HDMI 2.0 ports, 7 USB ports (1 USB 10Gb/s port with BC 1.2 charging, 1 USB 10Gb/s port, and 5 5Gb/s ports), 1 SD Card slot, 1 MicroSD Card slot, an Ethernet port, the 100W power delivery port, and one audio input/output port.

Plugable's docking station will be priced at $299 when it launches in the spring of 2020.

Plugable is also debuting a new $40 USB-C DisplayPort 1.4 MST to Dual HDMI 2.0 Adapter and a $50 2.5Gb/s USB Ethernet Adapter, both of which are set to debut in the second quarter of 2020.

Article Link: CES 2020: Plugable Launches 100W Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Docking Station

Last edited:
Reactions: stylinexpat

McG2k1

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I thought this was a NUC PC when I first saw the pick. Sucks that we have to keep a mini Mac sized break out box on hand to have the I/O we need.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I just want 4 USB-C ports. That’s ALL I need. If you have to have the other stuff on there, fine, just give me more than 1 or 2 USB-C.

Reactions: jhfenton

jumanji

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Austin, TX

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
Fair warning - dual display output via TB3 docks in macOS have traditionally resulted in lots of user complaints. "DisplayPort-Alt-Mode" + macOS are never a good combination. Since this is a dual USB-C/TB3 adapter, it MIGHT be DisplayLink-based instead of direct/uncompressed, but it also does claim no video via USB, so would wait to hear more on that.

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
...or even a plain USB-C breakout hub that just works, even at reduced bandwidth per device.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
I am wondering what read and write speeds are for SD card reader. Will try and ask tomorrow if I get the chance to stop by their booth.

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I thought this was a NUC PC when I first saw the pick. Sucks that we have to keep a mini Mac sized break out box on hand to have the I/O we need.
Same here and i agree.

Although, the entire concept of a dock/hub has been around for a long time. I'm glad that at least we only have to plug in one cable. For a decade or more, with a Mac, you had to plug in each, and, every, cable, you, needed. And unplugging was a nightmare as well.

I’d be willing to pay a little more if they could include an ethernet port. Am I the only one that finds it odd that it’s missing?
Definitely needs to have ethernet, and picture on Anandtech shows that it does have it, along with 5 additional USB3.0 ports. I think Macrumors should have posted more information about the device. I wasn't really interested until I saw the back of it.

It should be horizontal so it fits under one of those shelves.
I have a feeling you can remove the black part and lay it flat. Looks a lot like those LaCie drives.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
If UHS-II is not mentioned then it is most likely just around 100MB/s?
I guess.. I had so much to see today I barely had enough time to see all the exhibitors I wanted to see. Some interesting things out there but technology seems to sort of hit a wall these days with the basic stuff. See many Chinese people walking around taking pictures and talking about what to knock off next :rolleyes: I even get friends I know from China asking me to stop by vendors asking me to buy samples for them.:oops::rolleyes:
- - Post merged: - -

I saw a lot of new thunderbolt devices coming out but where is the new Apple thunderbolt display?
I think Thunderbolt is about 5 years old now. Nothing new these days since Thunderbolt was announced quite a few years ago.