Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

CES 2021: Arlo Highlights Touchless Video Doorbell and Essential Indoor Camera, Adds HomeKit to Wired Doorbell

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Home security company Arlo highlighted two upcoming products at CES this year, both of which received Smart Home awards at the event. The Essential Indoor camera and the Touchless Video Doorbell are both new product offerings that will be released in the coming months.

The Essential Indoor camera is designed to let families choose when the camera monitors and records video through a "disarm mode." In disarm mode, recording, motion, and audio detection is disabled and won't be re-enabled until manually done through the Arlo app. Video recording resumes when the camera is placed into arm mode.

The Touchless Video Doorbell is a new entry in Arlo's camera-equipped doorbell lineup. It uses Proximity Sensing Technology to gauge a visitor's distance, and when it sees someone approaching, it gives off an audible chime and lights up to let guests know that the doorbell has been virtually "pressed" and that the homeowner has been alerted.

Arlo says that it designed the Touchless Video Doorbell to allow for interaction with limited communal contact, while also keeping the homeowner's front entry secured. Additional details on the Essential Indoor Camera and Touchless Video Doorbell will be provided closer to their launch date, which has yet to be shared.

Along with these announcements, Arlo today appears to have quietly added HomeKit support to the Essential Video Doorbell Wired, based on an updated support document.

The support page lists the Essential Video Doorbell Wired as a HomeKit-compatible device alongside the Arlo Ultra, Pro 3, Pro 3 Floodlight Camera, Pro 2, and more. Enabling HomeKit compatibility requires an Arlo SmartHub or base station with the latest firmware, with Arlo providing instructions on adding HomeKit connectivity.

Article Link: CES 2021: Arlo Highlights Touchless Video Doorbell and Essential Indoor Camera, Adds HomeKit to Wired Doorbell

enigmaaron

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2020
The Essential Indoor camera is designed to let families choose when the camera monitors and records video through a "disarm mode." In disarm mode, recording, motion, and audio detection is disabled and won't be re-enabled until manually done through the Arlo app. Video recording resumes when the camera is placed into arm mode.
I don't quite understand this, how is this any different than what all of their camera's already do? Is this a budget model that does not work with geofencing/schedules? Or is this just the new Arlo Q?

Comment

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
How is this Essential Indoor Camera any different from the Arlo Q, other than it probably doesn't include 7 days of storing recordings for free anymore?

Comment

ryanmp

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Does the Essential Video Doorbell support HSV now or just HomeKit?
Just homekit. They have said in many channels that they have no intention of supporting HSV.

Honestly Arlo is expensive and not as good as competitors. I sold my Arlo Pro 3 set late last year and picked up EufyCams which are so much better.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Comment

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
How is this Essential Indoor Camera any different from the Arlo Q, other than it probably doesn't include 7 days of storing recordings for free anymore?

Well, their current lineup only records when:

A) armed
B) motioned is detected

Once recording, it only records for a predetermined amount of time or when the motion stops.

It appears, according to a few articles I’ve read, that the essential indoor camera can record indefinitely once armed as it is a wired camera. So for example, I can set it to arm on a schedule, or I can set it to arm if i log into to view the live stream. I could be wrong but this is the notion I was getting from the articles I read.

Comment

Delta-NC

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Scotland, European Union
So many companies with their €200 doorbell button with a camera on it. I already have a HomeKit camera covering the front of my house and a camera on my doorbell would have a bad view and interfere with my neighbours privacy.

Why has not one company just done a doorbell button with maybe some chime boxes for inside the house, chime boxes wich also monitor temperature and air quality? Can that not be done? Hope someone makes money from my idea 😂

Comment

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
Does the Essential Video Doorbell support HSV now or just HomeKit?
Just HomeKit from what I'm seeing. Arlo would *never* give up an opportunity to charge you a monthly subscription fee!

Arlo Ultra vs Logitech Circle, in homekit, there is no comparison - event recording, notifications, and time to load a video stream with Logitech is WAY better. Often times Arlo doorbell would ring, it would take 20 seconds to connect, by that time the person was gone or door was already answered.

Arlo is merely adding low hanging features they should've had for years as a publicity stunt at CES.

Comment

enigmaaron

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2020
So many companies with their €200 doorbell button with a camera on it. I already have a HomeKit camera covering the front of my house and a camera on my doorbell would have a bad view and interfere with my neighbours privacy.

Why has not one company just done a doorbell button with maybe some chime boxes for inside the house, chime boxes wich also monitor temperature and air quality? Can that not be done? Hope someone makes money from my idea 😂
They do, it's called the Arlo Audio Doorbell.

Reactions: Delta-NC
Comment

MallardDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
now all we need is homekit support for the pro4 so we can actually use them around the house, rather than within 15 feet of the base station....

Comment

Delta-NC

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Scotland, European Union
They do, it's called the Arlo Audio Doorbell.
Ohh well there we go! I was unaware of that one 😁 .... however it seems that not only would I need to buy the €80 doorbell I have to buy a bunch of their other kit to get it working. It’d be easier and cheaper buying one of the camera ones and some gorilla tape to cover the camera lens 😂

Comment

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
What’s the point of the touch free one. Isn’t it going to keep sending alerts and chime when a leaflet person puts something through your door. Not everyone who comes to your house needs to speak with the owner. Seems silly.

Reactions: svanstrom
Comment

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
I have a ton of Arlo cameras, and if I wasn’t already invested AND grandfathered into their 10 camera plan I’d drop them (I have 2 Arlo Pro 2 and 8 Arlo Pro cameras). They significantly raised their prices while cutting # of supported cameras in the plans.

Last edited:
Comment

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Just HomeKit from what I'm seeing. Arlo would *never* give up an opportunity to charge you a monthly subscription fee!

Arlo Ultra vs Logitech Circle, in homekit, there is no comparison - event recording, notifications, and time to load a video stream with Logitech is WAY better. Often times Arlo doorbell would ring, it would take 20 seconds to connect, by that time the person was gone or door was already answered.

Arlo is merely adding low hanging features they should've had for years as a publicity stunt at CES.
I guess this is why there are only two that support HSV. They don't get that sweet sweet subscription money.

Comment

icemantx

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
After spending over an hour with Arlo support trying to get the Arlo wired doorbell to connect to HomeKit (does not show up to add to HomeKit using the Arlo app) they had to pass me to a higher up supper rep who will supposedly get back to me... Wired doorbell not seem to work with HomeKit - at least not for me. No issues adding the Pro 3 cameras to HomeKit.

Comment

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
Well, their current lineup only records when:

A) armed
B) motioned is detected

Once recording, it only records for a predetermined amount of time or when the motion stops.

It appears, according to a few articles I’ve read, that the essential indoor camera can record indefinitely once armed as it is a wired camera. So for example, I can set it to arm on a schedule, or I can set it to arm if i log into to view the live stream. I could be wrong but this is the notion I was getting from the articles I read.
The Arlo Q is a wired camera that can record continuously if you pay for that plan. Nothing is different in that respect.

The only difference, as far as I can tell, is the Arlo Q supports the now obsoleted free tier plan that allows for 7 days of storing recordings, and all of Arlo's new cameras do not support this free tier plan.

Comment

nagelixin

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2015
Is that yet another logo change on the Indoor Essential?
Aka the Arlo Q replacement so they force new users on to subscription?

Comment

Spence8742

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
After spending over an hour with Arlo support trying to get the Arlo wired doorbell to connect to HomeKit (does not show up to add to HomeKit using the Arlo app) they had to pass me to a higher up supper rep who will supposedly get back to me... Wired doorbell not seem to work with HomeKit - at least not for me. No issues adding the Pro 3 cameras to HomeKit.
Same experience here as well rep could not figure it out disappointed but not surprised. Went through a full reset and did the standard add remove still nothing.

Comment

icemantx

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
Same experience here as well rep could not figure it out disappointed but not surprised. Went through a full reset and did the standard add remove still nothing.
I wonder if a firmware update to either the base station or doorbell will be needed? Mine shows up to date.

Comment

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL

So your front door camera is at chest level and able to get a clear view of the entire person at said front door? You may as well put a doorbell button on it then. 🙄

Comment

svanstrom

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2002
🇸🇪
I've given up looking at these products; because to get something basic, without having to rely on some monthly fee or hubs or wires, I'd have to build one myself. Which I've discovered that I'm too lazy to actually do. 😂

Like seriously, unless I've missed something I can't even get just a basic BT-LE button to glue to the door, and that can trigger 🇭🇰 notifications (as well as changing scenes)?

Comment

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
I've given up looking at these products; because to get something basic, without having to rely on some monthly fee or hubs or wires, I'd have to build one myself. Which I've discovered that I'm too lazy to actually do. 😂

Like seriously, unless I've missed something I can't even get just a basic BT-LE button to glue to the door, and that can trigger 🇭🇰 notifications (as well as changing scenes)?
You can. Aqara and other companies sell homekit enabled buttons that you could just use outside, and they even advertise them for this purpose. Weather proofing and cold weather performance is an open question.

big upsell for a true HKSV doorbell is the HomePod integration and announcement feature. Someone presses the doorbell, you can set one or many homepods to chime (can even use them exclusively for a chime). But if you use face tagging in photos, it will also tell you who’s at the door if it matches, or conditionally send alerts.
E.g. I have my face set for no notification so when I check the mail I’m not getting an activity alert.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.