Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Reactions: BeefCake 15

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
can you recommend any?

I'm tired of these "consumer grade" devices that over 15 years have become lower and lower in quality (overheating, poor range, poor stability, neglected security updates, terrible UI, slow UI, over-engineered for appearances not function)
Ubiquiti, solid performance, stable, not overly expensive, lots of features, huge connections per node.

jsamuelson

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Switzerland
Ubiquiti, solid performance, stable, not overly expensive, lots of features, huge connections per node.
I like Ubiquiti gear (currently using Amplify mesh being routed by a teeny little Edgerouter ER X for £40) but I think I am going Pfsense for my next box.

beermode

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2016
Wow, not even wifi 6e? Wifi 6 is so overpriced, and it doesn’t seem to be getting better. I bought an ax11000 when it first came out, came out to around 320 dollars, after a rebate for returning a broken apple AirPort Express (type g!). Now, I can’t remember, 2 or 3 years later, you get a bottom of the line router for 300?
Good WiFi 6 will outperform average 6e by a country mile. Our building's enterprise 6 only will kill almost anything consumer orientated out there. Especially with more than a few devices pegging the bandwidth.
So many people are really focused on paper specs and easily dismissive.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Good WiFi 6 will outperform average 6e by a country mile. Our building's enterprise 6 only will kill almost anything consumer orientated out there. Especially with more than a few devices pegging the bandwidth.
So many people are really focused on paper specs and easily dismissive.
OK, but what makes you think the Hydra is “good“ wifi 6? And I’m quite certain that at close range, good 6e will beat good 6. The point is that the tech is there, it’s a problem that they’re not including it in more devices, and instead are trying to milk 6 for all it’s worth.

beermode

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2016
OK, but what makes you think the Hydra is “good“ wifi 6? And I’m quite certain that at close range, good 6e will beat good 6. The point is that the tech is there, it’s a problem that they’re not including it in more devices, and instead are trying to milk 6 for all it’s worth.
I never said it was a good router. People are going berserk because it's only "WiFi 6" regardless of that Apple is selling at the moment. I don't think the narrow and specific scenarios that would make a consumer grade 6e beating a 6 reflects the amount of people trashing or ignoring a WiFi 6 router regardless of brand. They just see 6 and think it's trash.
In general, I wouldn't touch a Linksys router.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Home buyer beware!
Do not believe those big marketing words! You are most likely not notice a difference in performance unless you are running some mega old router say from 10 years or more ago. A good indicator is that if you are not complaining of any problem now, buying a new router will not give you any additional benefit.

Plus, who trusts the Linksys brand now? this company has been thrown around and been tornado of directions. If you want a good brand I suggest Asus, my second best bet is Netgear. If you are looking for privacy router and don't trust corporates I suggest GL but I did not test it myself so no grantees . https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-b2200/

is there a wifi6 vdsl modem that works reliably, has stable connectivity, and .. doesn't look like it is designed as props for a sci-fi horror movie?

Not sure what you are looking for but Netgear has a lot of Orbi ones for different kinds of services.

What’s with these routers being so expensive. Are they using titanium material or what. I don’t understand.

I believe its because a router near never dies. You buy it once and it works forever. There is no repurchasing unless you want to upgrade technology, its not consumable. So it could last you easily 7 years equally the price point of about $3.5/month which is awesome for something that is used to death daily.

Reactions: beermode
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.