Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hundreds of companies are at CES in Las Vegas this week showing off new products, and MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera has been spending time on the show floor to check out what's new, exciting, and worth taking note of.

We wrote about the Clicks physical keyboard for the iPhone last week, but Dan was able to test it out in person and he said that the keys feel great under the fingers and those who want a tactile typing experience will like it. The case is easy to put on and take off the iPhone, and there are handy shortcut keys for Spotlight search, webpage scrolling, and getting back to the Home Screen.

Withings was demoing the BeamO, an all-in-one device that can take your temperature, capture an ECG, monitor blood oxygen, and even serve as a digital stethoscope, and there were Qi2 chargers galore from brands like Hyper, Anker, and ESR. Qi2 is the latest charging technology, and it's bringing more affordable 15W wireless charging to the iPhone.

Targus was showing off an ambidextrous mouse that can be used by both right and left-handed people, and the company also had a dock that can connect two laptops together with three monitors, serving as a KVM.

Sony and Honda had the Afeela electric car on the show floor with its dozens of sensors for driver safety, and Dan also took note of the Barsys 360, a smart cocktail machine that mixes and pours bartender-grade drinks.

Unsurprisingly, there were a ton of AR/VR devices, some of which seemed to be inspired by the Vision Pro. One standout was the XREAL AR Glasses, but they're only compatible with Samsung's latest smartphones.

CES is just about wrapped up with the show coming to a close on Friday, but make sure to check out our CES 2024 hub for anything that you might have missed.

Article Link: CES 2024 Day 3: Clicks iPhone Keyboard, Qi2 Chargers, AR Glasses and More

• Haha
Reactions: japanime

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
The Barsys 360? The question that’s not even answered on their website is, “How does it work?” Does it work well, if you’ve not designed it, built it and practiced for a trade show yourself? How much residual liquor from previous pours remains in the machine, adulterating your next recipe? How easy or difficult is it to clean?

It strikes me as a gimmick that will most likely see itself being given as a gift to those who already have everything else, by people with cash to burn.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Unsurprisingly, there were a ton of AR/VR devices, some of which seemed to be inspired by the Vision Pro. One standout was the XREAL AR Glasses, but they're only compatible with Samsung's latest smartphones.
Yes you could say there are three camps at work now, Apple with their Vision Pros, Sony/Siemans with their Qualcomm powered headset, and Samsung/Google with their Qualcomm powered headset. The race is on for Apple to propel themselves via VisionOS and the VP headset to the lead with it available February 2nd and try to maintain it.

Apple isn’t at CES, but it had a huge presence anyway. On Monday, just before a string of CES keynotes were set to kick off, the company announced that its Vision Pro headset would be launching on February 2nd. Apple had already promised that the headset would launch early this year. So the stage was set for its rivals to compete by making CES 2024 a showcase of new ideas about virtual and augmented reality.

Ultimately, that didn’t pan out. Lots of companies showed up with AR and VR tech. A lot of the headsets offered similar functionality to the Vision Pro, like an AR / VR monitor for your computer or a substitute TV. But none were as impressive a package as Apple’s headset, nor were most arriving nearly as soon.

Other announcements at CES

Last edited:

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
Kudos to the teams who successfully pitched the keyboard case and cocktail mixer to make it this far.

Jankie

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2022
can't wait to see the new EV's. better than tesla's buggy, barely functional software and poor quality cars.
Have had a Tesla Model 3 LR since 2020. No issues. Enjoy the car. I am sorry that you did not have the same experience from your Tesla.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
can't wait to see the new EV's. better than tesla's buggy, barely functional software and poor quality cars.
Granted they don’t have the best build quality, I don’t know of any other car manufacturer that has all around better software.

joshuaiz

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
Is it just me or is just about every 3-in-one charging stands/docks/whatever completely fugly?

I have the folding cube Anker travel charger that Dan mentions — it is the only one I've seen that isn't some Frankenstein's monster of Platonic solids and looks relatively decent.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Was good to see all the new wireless chargers. XReal AR glasses are interesting.

loopi77

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
folks here discuss each 0.1 mm bezel and chamfered edge change, every shade of those titanium finish options. how can anyone of those put their pro max in that yellow clicks case. a foot long whatever thing. if that is getting some minutes of fame or even attention here, never ever tell me anything about iPhone design : )

everybodylovesramen

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2021
physical keyboards could/should come back as an option for smart phones. touch screens are limiting even if you’re great at it you’re also dependent on some combination of auto-complete, AI, etc.

starting with the danger sidekick - i could type 150 wpm on that thing.

blackberry maybe 130 since it was smaller.

but losing those keys took years to adjust and i’ve noticed in the last 2/3 years the iphone keyboard has been inconsistent at best and that’s after using one since the 3G.

make one of these for the 13 mini so i can rid myself of this 15 pro max pocket destroyer.

we need to go back to smaller phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.