Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sennheiser this week announced the launch of several new wire-free earbud and headphone options that are designed to compete with the AirPods and AirPods Pro from Apple.

sennheiser-sport-earbuds.jpg

The Momentum Sport earbuds are fitness optimized, featuring both a heart rate sensor and a body temperature sensor that can provide real-time biometric feedback. The heart rate data can be added to the Health app on an Apple device, and the earbuds also integrate with other platforms like Strava, Garmin, Peloton, and Polar.

There is a built-in acoustic relief channel that is meant to minimize footstep noise, breathing, and other sounds from the body, and there is a semi-open design that promotes natural environmental awareness that's important for running, biking, and similar activities.

Several listening modes are available, including a Transparency mode, an anti-wind mode, and an Adaptive Noise Canceling mode, so users can adapt the earbuds to multiple activities. The earbuds include a new acoustic system for what Sennheiser says is the best sound yet in a sport earbud, and there is IP55 sweat and water resistance along with a shock-proof chassis. Priced at $330, the Momentum Sport will be available starting on April 9.

The mid-range Accentum Plus headphones are an affordable option that supports aptX and offers 50 hours of listening time on a single charge. The headphones include Adaptive ANC to cut down on ambient sound, and an audio cable allows them to be used in situations where wire-free functionality is not available, such as on an airplane. The Accentum Plus will launch on February 20 and will be priced at $230 in the U.S.

sennheiser-headphones.jpg

Sennheiser's Momentum True Wireless 4 earbuds are built on Qualcomm's S5 Sound Gen 2 platform with aptX lossless sound quality and low latency. Bluetooth 5.4 is included, as is Auracast, which Sennheiser says offers "exceptional signal continuity while on the go."

sennheiser-momentum.jpg

Adaptive ANC has been improved, plus there is a more advanced tuning system and an upgraded battery system allowing the earbuds to last for up to 7.5 hours before needing to be recharged. The Momentum True Wireless 4 earbuds will be available for pre-order on February 15, and they will be priced at $300 in the United States.

Article Link: CES 2024: Sennheiser's New Wireless Earbuds Feature Heart Rate and Body Temperature Sensors

Reactions: Morod

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Exciting. I'm looking to replace my Airpods Pro. Probably the most disappointing product from Apple I've owned. Lots of static.... footstep noise.... rattling and feedback when I talk.

Reactions: AeroEd

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Competition is always welcomed. I have heard good things about Sennheiser and there sound quality. I wonder how accurate the heart rate monitor and body temperature are but it is a welcomes addition to a sports version. The better question might be how good is the ANC on these, thats something many companies other than Sony/Bose and Apple for the most part have trouble with.

Reactions: Morod

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Exciting. I'm looking to replace my Airpods Pro. Probably the most disappointing product from Apple I've owned. Lots of static.... footstep noise.... rattling and feedback when I talk.
Mine started that about a year in and it lasted like 6 months…now they don’t do it anymore and work fine. i dunno what happened

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have Sennheiser's Momentum 4 cans and the sound is really good for wireless. The noise cancelling isn’t as good as AirPods Pro but if I’m listening to music I’m using my Sennheiser's.

Reactions: Oscar_440 and Morod

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I’ve replaced my AirPods Pro twice because of a crackling noise. Now I pay more attention to keeping them clean and my 3rd pair seem to be OK so far.

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
Why don't more companies make ear buds like the Powerbeats Pro? These other type of buds won't ever stay in my ear, especially working out.
Been rocking the Beats pro for 5 yrs now as the rubber loop keeps it in place running or cycling PERIOD.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Making earphones into health monitors is a decent idea but they better sound great too. For the price of these you can get a top tier set of wired headphones or IEMs that sound incredible.

Reactions: srknpower

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
have you even looked at the replacement program (assuming you have the first gen)?

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
The Sport is the main interesting one tech-wise - but I'm not a health freak so the Sport doesn't apply.

Despite claims otherwise, no others have managed to unseat the contemporary Sony for both everyday SQ + ANC at around the same price for both earbud and headphone and the previous headphone restyle means they look like a Sony clone as well - so it'll be interesting to see if these get better reviews than the last iteration, especially when the XM6's launch.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Been rocking the Beats pro for 5 yrs now as the rubber loop keeps it in place running or cycling PERIOD.
My Beats Pro went after 4 years. One side just stopped working. Was willing to try something else but there was nothing else on the market that I trusted design-wise that would stay in my ears. So despite NO UPDATE in 5 years, I just bought the same exact pair of Beats Pros. There's just no competition for that type of design.

Reactions: Agile55

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

First generation right? Get them replaced. The defect program is still going. Just make a store appointment, they’ll take them and test them and replace them for free.

And then get the second gen. Or wait for the third gen which will likely have temperature sensing as well.

I thought the first gen were ok, I noticed some issues too. Better after getting them replaced, but still not great. Second generation are absolutely night and day better.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Very interesting. Hopefully the next AirPods Pro will have similar features.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Making earphones into health monitors is a decent idea but they better sound great too
Haven't owned any of their wireless buds (I did with high-end headsets) but Sennheiser, along with AKG and Audio-Technica, are the best you can get when it comes to headsets. I'd be surprised if these didn't sound good.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Mother Nature

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
Colombia
I switched from AirPods Pro 2 to TrueWireless 3 and it took me a month to go back (fortunately by then the Pro 2 USB were released).

The TW3 sound is superior compared to the AP2, same as ANC, but the user experience lags behind. If you only plan to use it with the iPhone fine, but anytime you try to use it with one device and there is another one (previously paired) nearby, it'll connect to that and you will have to grab that device and disconnect, you will not be able to connect to the device you want to use otherwise. Also, mic quality is not good, at all.

So, while it offers amazing sound, that does not compare to a greater user experience.

Hopefully they addressed those caviats with the TW4.

garibaldo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
Porto Alegre, Brazil
battery duration, heart beats, protection from radiation....
wath matters the most is the sound!
edifier is okay, apple maybe, best sound is from Sony and Westone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.