Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Withings, known primarily for its lineup of iPhone-connected smart scales, today debuted the BeamO, a 4-in-1 home health checkup device.

withings-beamo.jpg

The BeamO "multiscope" combines ECG, pulse oximeter, stethoscope, and thermometer sensors into a single device. According to Withings, the BeamO is the "thermometer of the future," able to not only measure temperature, but also provide feedback on heart and lung health.

There are electrodes along the side of the BeamO that allow it to detect blood oxygen levels and heart rate, while also performing a 1-lead ECG (similar to the Apple Watch ECG function).

A temperature scanner detects body temperature from the temporal artery, and with a Piezoelectric disc, it is able to capture chest or back acoustic soundwaves that can be provided to a physician during a telehealth appointment.

Withings says that the BeamO can provide a body checkup in under a minute, alerting users to fever, infection, and possible cardiovascular issues like atrial fibrillation.

BeamO is set to launch in June 2024, and it will cost $250.

Article Link: CES 2024: Withings Launches 'BeamO' Home Health Scanner

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Interesting device. Will be interesting to see what first impressions are once reviewers get their hands on this device.

I have the sleep monitor, blood pressure cuff, and scale. However, I’ve been kind of put off by the recent rollout of subscription services. My concern about a new generation device would be how much functionality is paywalled.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
The article didn't mention FDA approval (or even clearance) so I wonder how well it would be accepted by a doctor, who would be responsible for the accuracy of the readings.

Reactions: VulchR and RealE

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Had their deluxe blood pressure cuff and returned it when it consistently failed to perform the stethoscope function no matter how many different ways I tried to make that work.

Have their regular bpm and it works well as does their body analysis scale (main gripe is cheap tiny low res screen I can’t read clearly while standing on it).

Had to return my first pulse wave detection scale under recall refund program after it failed to get official approval for that function. Bought the successor a couple years afterward.

I wouldn’t buy any more of their products if they have a subscription model.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
withings has great products. hopefully they will have a way for endusers to use it themselves as well and not need Telehealth.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Costly device. Not sure whether the measurements will be correct and accurate.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
The article didn't mention FDA approval (or even clearance) so I wonder how well it would be accepted by a doctor, who would be responsible for the accuracy of the readings.
Withings say:

Has BeamO been clinically and / or medically validated?
No, Beamo has not been clinically/medically validated yet. The plan is to clinically validate the device and obtain CE marking and FDA clearance to bring BeamO to market as a medical device.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
From my point of view, we need all such devices to work on some sort of common interface basis.

I can imagine a future in which one healthcare provider supports one device, another supports another. Change doctor - buy a new device. Go on holiday where they don't support your device - tough (or buy another device).

At least with Apple Watch/iPhone based things, the information can be directly displayed on the iPhone.

I certainly wouldn't want to add the Withings app and see my health data split between Apple Health and Withings. (And I'm sure the same applies to Android.) And it will only get worse as other companies produce more sophisticated devices.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Withings say:

Has BeamO been clinically and / or medically validated?
No, Beamo has not been clinically/medically validated yet. The plan is to clinically validate the device and obtain CE marking and FDA clearance to bring BeamO to market as a medical device.
This is a relatively new thing of companies putting out "medical devices" before they have been FDA Approved. There is another classification called "FDA Cleared" which means the company has submitted the forms for Approval but they haven't been finalized. Cleared means it won't kill a patient but the accuracy of the readings needs to be established. So we're Guinea Pigs.

Reactions: polyphenol

willzyx

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2016
If it's using the same sensor and tech as their Thermo thermometer, skip it. Completely useless, most of the time reads at least 1 degree higher than Exergen. Had their Thermo model and it would constantly read 1-2 degrees higher than a medical thermometer, which is a difference between ER visit or Tylenol at home for small kids. Would rush the kids to the hospital, only for them to tell me it's a low grade fever and to throw away my Thermo.

Get the Exergen TemporalScanner for $35 and it reads exactly the same as Exergen hospital thermometers.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
This won’t be available in the USA for another 5-6 years.

Withings still hasn’t released their higher end blood pressure cuff in the USA but it’s been available in Europe for 4 years.

Rookbird¥

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2021
I don’t know why someone hasn’t come out with something like this sooner. I think we could have much more advanced medical devices then we do right now. Sometimes an industry becomes nothing but a cash cow and doesn’t invest in advancements that would make great advancements for civilization.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
I don’t know why someone hasn’t come out with something like this sooner. I think we could have much more advanced medical devices then we do right now. Sometimes an industry becomes nothing but a cash cow and doesn’t invest in advancements that would make great advancements for civilization.
A lot of the advancements are incremental. A better implant or a smaller device. But the approval process for medical equipment is brutal because it has to be. Like airplane manufacturers. (As Boeing is finding out)

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Withings has terrible customer service. “Free returns” except they make it as difficult as possible. The “return” button on my order page didn’t work so I had to contact them. No phone number. No email address. Web chat only. 45 minutes before anyone responded (no queue system, just silence) and then I had to explain why I wanted to return the device. Made me explain someone had bought me the device as a gift so I didn’t need the one I ordered. I hadn’t even opened the package and they tried to make me open the box and get the serial number of the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.