Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
At CES this year almost every manufacturer is using the Sandybridge Quad Core (the i7 2630qm). Not in their huge gaming rigs, but in standard 15" laptops.

If Apple don't at least offer the i7 2630qm (or higher) in their 17" they will be a real laughing stock with everyone else is putting them in compact 15" laptops.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
At CES this year almost every manufacturer is using the Sandybridge Quad Core (the i7 2630qm). Not in their huge gaming rigs, but in standard 15" laptops.

If Apple don't at least offer the i7 2630qm (or higher) in their 17" they will be a real laughing stock with everyone else is putting them in compact 15" laptops.

Hopefully this will be a driving factor for them, but Apple doesn't exactly cave to peer pressure. Most mac users are dedicated mac users, and would rather be 2 cores shy of the norm in orde to keep using mac osx.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Hopefully this will be a driving factor for them, but Apple doesn't exactly cave to peer pressure. Most mac users are dedicated mac users, and would rather be 2 cores shy of the norm in orde to keep using mac osx.

agreed. For mac users, osx>all so it would still sell. I plan on buying my first macbook a mbp 13" and if it doesn't have a core i5, standard ssd, and upgraded graphics performance I'll take my business elsewhere.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
if you need a quad core i7, go make a hackintosh laptop. simple.

simple for some. not so much for others.

but for me, i moved to Mac so I could have a stable, simple system that I could do my audio work on, and so I'd no longer have to tinker as much with my computer hardware, or troubleshoot problems instead of doing work.

I was very close to making a Hackintosh out of my P5K/Q6600 PC earlier in the week, but the task seemed daunting enough to put me off to it.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I think last year each manufacturer put a Quad core in their flagship and gaming models. So when you bought a Macbook you could say, yeah but look at the size of the thing.

But this year they are slapping them in their standard compact mainstream 15" ones. Not having at least the i7 2630qm in the 17" this time will be positively embarrassing.

MAC - "Hey look at my £2000 dual core Macbook Pro 17" "
PC - "my £900 toshiba, acer... 15" has a quad core"
MAC - "i think I have a bridge to jump off"

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I think last year each manufacturer put a Quad core in their flagship and gaming models. So when you bought a Macbook you could say, yeah but look at the size of the thing.

But this year they are slapping them in their standard compact mainstream 15" ones. Not having at least the i7 2630qm in the 17" this time will be positively embarrassing.

MAC - "Hey look at my £2000 dual core Macbook Pro 17" "
PC - "my £900 toshiba, acer... 15" has a quad core"
MAC - "i think I have a bridge to jump off"

Again, I really think your sentiment will be widespread, but only among PC users. They will point fingers, laugh, mock, and have a field day with it. But Mac OS junkies won't bat an eye. Sure, they'd love it if there was a quad in their shiny new MacBook Pro. But even if there isn't, they know (feel) they still have a better computer, as it's running OSX.

I was a PC user/builder/fixer/programmer since about 1995 or so. And since I've gone to Mac (this year) I'm already willing to make sacrifices. I abandoned using my quad core PC sitting right in my studio, and instead I'm using the Core 2 Duo in my 13" MBP. The user experience and stability is just far superior to what I was used to with the PC, and for that, I'm willing to sacrifice a little horsepower for it.

It's just a trade off. Different things are important to different people. For some, hardware specs are everything and they don't give any weight to what OS they are using. But Mac users LOVE their OS. It's not the hardware specs that keep them coming back, is the operating system.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I am in the market for a new Mac laptop this year

I can assure you, I will buy the top of the line MBP whatever it is without even looking at a PC or its specs

It makes absolutely no difference to me if they put a Binford 2000 Quantum X Octo-core nuclear powered big rig Red/Yellow/Green/Blu-Ray DVD projector with a front and rear facing camera in their boxes... I will buy the MBP and not blink an eye

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
But Mac users LOVE their OS. It's not the hardware specs that keep them coming back, is the operating system.

20%= OSX

20% = Looks

10% = Kool Aid drinkers/fanbois.

50% = It's not windows. A lot of mac users just feel they're making a statement about being "different" and supporting the underdog OS.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I am in the market for a new Mac laptop this year

I can assure you, I will buy the top of the line MBP whatever it is without even looking at a PC or its specs

It makes absolutely no difference to me if they put a Binford 2000 Quantum X Octo-core nuclear powered big rig Red/Yellow/Green/Blu-Ray DVD projector with a front and rear facing camera in their boxes... I will buy the MBP and not blink an eye

This is precisely what I'm talking about! And I agree with everything MacDawg said. I would NEVER buy another Windows laptop again in my life (I've actually only bought one, the rest were given to me by jobs, but they all sucked, or ended up sucking soon enough). Regardless of what CPU gets put in the next MBP, 99% of Mac users will NOT be running to Windows to make them feel better. It's just not going to happen.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Steve Jobs is a genius. Its hard to imagine another company where the customers say that no matter how inferior the product they will buy it anyway.

Please keep up a pretence of wanting the fastest. There needs to be some pressure on apple to at least keep up with the other companies.

Apple may read these forums so lets have 10 posts saying we will cut off our hands and never use a Mac again if there is no Quad option ;)

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Steve Jobs is a genius. Its hard to imagine another company where the customers say that no matter how inferior the product they will buy it anyway.

Please keep up a pretence of wanting the fastest. There needs to be some pressure on apple to at least keep up with the other companies.

Apple may read these forums so lets have 10 posts saying we will cut off our hands and never use a Mac again if there is no Quad option ;)

It is not as simple as Jobs being a Genius ... buy a super fast PC if you believe they are so superior ... so many factors go into the decision to pick a computer.

I have never seen a lasting PC ... never ... they all die or slow down over time. Maintaining a PC is a complete headache ... and you never win.

where as I know many people with 4-5 year old Macs and those machines are working the same as when they bought them. :cool:

baxingo

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
I was a PC user/builder/fixer/programmer since about 1995 or so. And since I've gone to Mac (this year) I'm already willing to make sacrifices. I abandoned using my quad core PC sitting right in my studio, and instead I'm using the Core 2 Duo in my 13" MBP. The user experience and stability is just far superior to what I was used to with the PC, and for that, I'm willing to sacrifice a little horsepower for it.

I just sold my quad core i7 desktop I built 4 months ago to fund my macbook pro

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

It's got nothing to do with that.

I gave up on thinking I needed the most powerful notebook years ago. There are things I need and want, and Apple delivers them. If uber quadcore high clockspeed, etc is what I need then it sits by my desk.

Give me battery life, form factor, and an OS that I like.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I know Mac's have their good points. Thats why I bought a Macbook Pro and thats why I love it.

But if it becomes the norm that mac users proudly proclaim they care nothing for specs then thats what we will get, last years leftovers.

If we maintain that we want a fast machine we will get it, all the awesomeness of a Mac and as fast as a PC. It is possible, we just have to make it clear that it is wanted.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
agreed. For mac users, osx>all so it would still sell. I plan on buying my first macbook a mbp 13" and if it doesn't have a core i5, standard ssd, and upgraded graphics performance I'll take my business elsewhere.

I'd recommend you start looking now. I hear acer are good...

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
I'd recommend you start looking now. I hear acer are good...

as far as laptops go I like Apple, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, and Sony. I'll be looking at these brands and their reviews on various tech blogs and youtube to make my decision.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I just sold my quad core i7 desktop I built 4 months ago to fund my macbook pro

Did you get a fair amount for it? I'm getting lowballed like crazy for my core2quad. Another reason why I'm sick of PCs. My Hyundai Accent held it's value better than a PC does.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
If the new MBP doesn't have quad CPUs:

Some Mac users will upgrade no matter what. Which is pretty good for Apple.

Some Mac users (like me) will wait for the next Ivy Bridge refresh, hoping for quads. Not great for Apple, but not terrible.

The steady stream of PC users being converted to Apple will continue to wither and die, but at a much faster rate. This is very bad for Apple.

If the new MBP does have quad CPUs:

Lots and lots of Mac users decide to upgrade immediately, and lots of PC users see that the MBP line is a very attractive, reliable, powerful, and reasonably cost-effective machine. Which would mean Apple very quickly get the extra money spent on designing the quad MBP back, and then some.

But that's just how I see the situation.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I have seen a few posts for Erasmus and I always like it when he posts. Its always a nice refreshing breeze of informed good sense.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I have never seen a lasting PC ... never ... they all die or slow down over time. Maintaining a PC is a complete headache ... and you never win.

where as I know many people with 4-5 year old Macs and those machines are working the same as when they bought them. :cool:

My 5+ year old custom built rig I gave to my mom is still running strong (all the same parts as when I built it, only had one reformat in that 5+ years). Meanwhile, her MacBook (2nd gen) went through 2 logic boards in a bit under 2 and a half years.

Working as an Apple Tech for 10+ years I can tell you Macs break down just like any other Computers. Sure, as a whole they're built better, but they slow down etc just like any other. At my store 90% of the switchers are recycling their 4+ year old Dell (and other pre-built) rigs, which still run fine after those 4 years.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
20%= OSX

20% = Looks

10% = Kool Aid drinkers/fanbois.

50% = It's not windows. A lot of mac users just feel they're making a statement about being "different" and supporting the underdog OS.
50% may be on the Mac because it's not Windows, but to say that's only because they want to be "different" shows a lack of extrapolative thinking on your part. I personally know many newish Mac users that simply got fed up with the effort involved in maintaining a Windows system under XP and Vista. Microsoft's own OS chased them away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.