Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Again what makes android then from a features stand point? Android still has more flexibility and features at this given time. If you can say ios improving enough by saying it adds features then what is android doing? Likewise what is touch wiz doing, which now has more features than stock Android?

I didn't say anything about android lacking. I think both os's are great right now. This past year was the first time where I feel like I could use any platform....be it iOS, android, or windows. They are all have a minimal learning curve and work nice.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
What over haul do you want android to have?

Something that removes all the Tronny, quasi-futuristic elements from the design, lol. Some parts look like they were made by programmers for nerds (Settings, some parts of Holo, Phone, Messages, Play Store). Google Now offers a glimpse of a good aesthetic future for Android.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Again what makes android then from a features stand point? Android still has more flexibility and features at this given time. If you can say ios improving enough by saying it adds features then what is android doing? Likewise what is touch wiz doing, which now has more features than stock Android?

The iPhone 5 runs as fast if not faster than the best Android phones despite the hardware not being as powerful, because the software and hardware are specifically made to work well together.

The iPhone 5 lasts as long as Android phones with batteries twice its' size because you don't have to worry about wakelocks.

Seems like some of the important parts of the core experience (battery life, smoothness) are done much better in iOS, but others are done better on Android (sharing, openness and customisation).

They're both good for different reasons.

I once had a wakelock in my Galaxy S3 where the "tilt to scroll" option in Google Chrome was causing a gyroscope wakelock and draining my battery quite severely. It's like, come on, give me a fricking clue! Luckily I was savvy enough to download betterbatterystats and google the culprit of that particular wakelock, but millions wouldn't be. How would you ever discover the cause of that if you don't know about apps like BBS?!

And that's just one example; other apps on Android have problems like that all the time. It's a minefield.

For me, as someone who enjoys tinkering with devices, wakelocks were a nuisance, but for many other less tech-savvy people it would be a deal breaker.

Being "totally open" has its' pitfalls.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Something that removes all the Tronny, quasi-futuristic elements from the design, lol. Some parts look like they were made by programmers for nerds (Settings, some parts of Holo, Phone, Messages, Play Store). Google Now offers a glimpse of a good aesthetic future for Android.

Google's app design language is quite aesthetically pleasing.

Gmail, Google+, Google Now and Google Search all look clean and well thought out. All those same elements are in Chrome OS as well.

Android on the other hand, that whole pseudo 80's sci-fi motif and dark dreary color palette just doesn't look as good and is dramatically disconnected from Google's other, better, cleaner UI work.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

Gmail, Google+, Google Now and Google Search all look clean and well thought out. All those same elements are in Chrome OS as well.

Android on the other hand, that whole pseudo 80's sci-fi motif and dark dreary color palette just doesn't look as good and is dramatically disconnected from Google's other, better, cleaner UI work.

What annoys me about Google's design is that its app teams don't seem to have any sort of communication. Maps on iOS is very well designed, GMail is good, but go look at Google+ on iOS, it's terrible. The stock apps on Android don't look too great, not nearly as clean and refined as their iOS counterparts. Holo is a decent design guideline, but the apps look very monotonous and lack individual character. I think they should take inspiration from Google Now, their iOS team, and really just draft up a cleaner, more polished interface. And I think that's what's going to happen.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland

I was gonna joke if those teams were in separate buildings...but now I wonder if they really are.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Exactly the same you say?

Even more so than I was originally thinking actually. I thought the first version looked much different, but they gave us the 3D dock and an extra row of icons. Oh, and the ability to change the homescreen photos, I remember when Apple was touting that as a feature.

OMG, those images shows just how dated iOS is. Apple couldn't even bother to update icons with a more modern look.

I wouldn't change the icons, but I would at the very least like Apple to allow us to remove the default apps and put those icons wherever we want on the screen . . . like say at the bottom. Or just have a blank page or something.

Yes! Pretty much exactly the same!
I would hardly call an extra row of icons after 6 years progress!

Agreed! I know the stuff under the hood has been tweaked a bit, and we got some new apps that some may use, but again, as I've said in many other threads Apple's iOS 6 is the new Palm OS v5 which remained the same from 2002 until 2007 . . . . 2009 if you really count WebOS as an update for it.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Agreed! I know the stuff under the hood has been tweaked a bit, and we got some new apps that some may use, but again, as I've said in many other threads Apple's iOS 6 is the new Palm OS v5 which remained the same from 2002 until 2007 . . . . 2009 if you really count WebOS as an update for it.

I'm curious if the executive shake-up in Q4 2012 (Federighi heading iOS) will result in some significant changes in the very near future.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm curious if the executive shake-up in Q4 2012 (Federighi heading iOS) will result in some significant changes in the very near future.

I hope so. As quiet as it's kept, it's my preferred OS, it just doesn't do what I need it to do.

I hope we see a drastic improvement of Apple's cloud services, and the OS that touted as the staple of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.