CF/SSD Upgrade for Key Lime iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ariii, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I recently acquired a Key Lime iBook for $99 off of eBay, and I'm making it my main laptop. The stock 10 GB HDD isn't particularly fast and it would be nice to have it be more quiet. The connector is EIDE/ATA-2 for this model, so which kind of SSD should I use? I'm looking for like a 16-20 GB capacity for a relatively affordable price. So pretty much any IDE ATA HDD should work on it, right?

... Just in case though, I heard CF cards also work. I know they have a limited number of rewrites, so should that be a problem? And are there many affordable adaptors?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I have a CompactFlash card in my G3 iMac. It's fast, quiet, and cheap. Because of the slow ATA bus in that iBook, you don't have to get a fast CF card. Don't worry about the limited amount of writes. The backlight will die long before the card does. The adapters cost about $5-$10.

3. Ariii, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Thanks! I'll try the upgrade. Should any CF-to-ATA/IDE one work?

Also, I've heard the HDD replacements are extremely difficult. How likely am I to mess something up?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Any adapter should work. I've never replaced the hard drive in a clamshell iBook. So I can't comment on the difficulty of it.

5. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Thanks! I'll try the upgrade.