CGI/Graphics/Animation/SF sotware help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jgbr, Dec 30, 2009.

1. jgbr macrumors 6502

Hello All

Looking for best software to design,create, animate etc, Space scenes and warships including movement, scenes etc etc.

Am so confused from goggling whats best out their for the mac OS.

Help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maya from Autodesk and Cinema 4D from Maxon can do that.
    There is also Blender, which free.

What results did you get with your googling?

(WOW, googling is in the dictionary.
    google |ˈgoōgəl| (also Google)
    verb
    informal [ intrans. ] use an Internet search engine, particularly Google.com : she spent the afternoon googling aimlessly.
    • [ trans. ] search for the name of (someone) on the Internet to find out information about them : you meet someone, swap numbers, fix a date, then Google them through 1,346,966,000 Web pages.
    ORIGIN from Google, the proprietary name of a popular Internet search engine.)

3. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502

Maya, Lightwave (that i like the look of) and 3DS..

I would like to create pictures of warships, obviously place them on sea (or space for starships) and fully animate them.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I forgot about Lightwave, it was used for Babylon 5.
    3D Studio Max only runs on Windows, but is easy to learn.

Maya had a free (students) version when it was still belonging to Alias, but since it moved to Autodesk, I don't know anymore.

Look at the official webpages to see if those applications might be for you, as the all are capable of doing what you want.

Here is a more comprehensive list of 3D modelling and animation software:
    http://www.pure-mac.com/3d.html
    via http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=3d+software+mac+os+x&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

But know that getting into 3D might be hard at first, to understand all the modelling (Splines, Nurbs, polygons, ....) techniques.

It took me one year to get a decent animation of some models I made in 3D Studio Max, which was in 1998 or so.

Also have a look at www.3dcafe.com, it was a great resource of tutorials, models, material (maps, textures) and such, many for free. It might not be this way anymore though.