Cgi?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cpcarrot, Mar 3, 2008.

1. cpcarrot macrumors member

Hello all,

I'm a FCS2 user and reasonably familiar with using Final Cut Pro for editing but never really dabbled in the realm of CGI. At some point in the future will be starting an ameture project with a bit of a sci-fi slant and may need to learn how to create some basic CGI shots (exterior shots of a space station / space ship in space) and I'm not really sure where to start. So two questions really:

1) Can anyone point me in the direction of any resources that would help me learn to create these kind of shots?
    2) Any software recomendations? (I have Motion 3 but would like views on software like Shake or After Affects for this kind of work)

2. cdarlington1 macrumors regular

cdarlington1

2d and 3d...

HI cpcarrot

I'm an editor and sometime VFX supervisor.

The cheap route for shots like you have described (exterior space station, space ship in space) can be created with the software you mention (Motion 3 Shake or After Affects) but these software packages are 2d, not 3d. So, you could take existing photographs of exterior space stations or photographs of space ships and 'composite' them into space using these software packages. Create star fields, that sort of thing.

If you were looking to pass a camera around a space station you would likely need to go to a 3d package. I myself am just learning 3d and am using Cinema4D which is a farily decent 3d animation/modelling package.

A great resource site - will give you alot more information and alot of inspiration, check it out...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/

3. lewteag macrumors newbie

What 3dCGI software is the easiest to learn?

I'm also a FCP S2 User making a web series on my own.

I need to make one animated 3D CGI shot in which a marble statue turns and begins speaking. I'm trying to figure out the best software to accomplish that shot. I'm willing to study my butt off to learn how to do it.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

check out Blender since it has the best price.... $0

their site has a lot of training videos too

5. lewteag macrumors newbie

Opening Blender

Have you used Blender? Is it newbie friendly? I downloaded the program and I'm unable to open it. It's on my desktop.

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I'm not sure how newbie friendly it is... I've only opened it a couple times, but haven't had time to really dive into the tutorial stuff.

7. lewteag macrumors newbie

Can't open Blender

I downloaded their software but can't open it. I know I'm probably missing something obvious but I can't figure it out. It's sitting on my desktop. Any suggestions?