Chain-less Bikes?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fiveos22, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

I wouldn't call myself a bicycle enthusiast, but I do enjoy biking as my third most common mode of transportation (Car, running, biking), and living in a big city it affords me a quite a bit more flexibility than my car. One of the huge drawbacks to biking is the problem of clothing...especially clothing getting greased up, stuck, or torn by the chain.

I usually roll my pant leg and I've seen other people rubber band their pants around their ankles which is all well and good, but I didn't realize that there was another way out there until (while bored at work) wikipedia introduced me to the chainless bike. Powered by a drive shaft if offers higher clearance and comparable "efficiency" to chain bikes.

[​IMG]

Apparently there is a niche market for them over in Europe. I was wondering if anyone had used one and if so, how might it compare to my 27 speed Raleigh M800 mountain bike with street slicks and clips?

Anyone?

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Why dont people ever think of chain guards?

The pant rolling thing I find hilarious when on my rides!

3. remmy macrumors 6502a

or get clips, or wear skin tight trousers.

Does look cool though.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Some motorcycles are equipped with driveshafts and I've read that they lost about 15% of their power between the crankshaft and the wheel. I don't know how much power chain driven motorcycles lose. Also, motorcycles shift before power is sent through the driveshaft, which makes me wonder how this bike shifts.

Either way, never getting my pants stuck on a sprocket again would be priceless.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Couple this drive shaft with a Shimano internal hub (cassette is in rear hub), and you have a very sweet drivetrain.

The good think of this, is less cleaning, less greasing, less maintenance. Hell I'd buy one of these.

7. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

lame. how about no gears?
    [​IMG]

when i do ride with pants on i simply roll them up. hardly difficult. and like someone else said, if you don't want to go through that hassle, use a chain guard. that's what my buddy does with his
    [​IMG]

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Which idea? Chainless bikes, or wearing skin tight trousers? :p:p

9. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'm going with the skin tight trousers for a $100, Alex ;)

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

they are still less efficient and they weigh more and are harder to work on. but who knows if they will make it the chainless bike comes and goes. but you may end up with something you can't get parts for.