Chair? [un-tech-related]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CharlieKirk, Aug 30, 2008.

1. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

Hi :)

I'm looking for a chair to outfit my office... budget is reasonably flexible. I was going to go Herman Miller, but then my friend told me that they used to be quite popular and in and around the design journals, but they faded about with the dotcom bubble pop, can anybody recommend anything stylish?

Thanks.

2. iChrisG macrumors member

I currently have my so very comfortable IKEA Moses. It's great for my back!

IKEA offers great and cheap chairs but there isn't much of a selection.

Happy Shopping!

-Chris

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

I still love their chairs, although the Aeron was what was popular then, and now I'm a fan of their Mirra chair. The upside to being so popular is that if you don't mind a used chair, they can be found for cheap.

A good chair is worth its weight in gold if you spend all day sitting in one like me :)

edit: Also, if you can, you REALLY have to try out the chair before buying it. I don't mean used/new, but the chair in general. Find a friend, find a store, whatever it takes. Do not just order from a catalog if you've never sat in it before. Some of the more expensive chairs might be harder to find, but some stores like Design Within Reach might have some Herman Miller chairs around.

4. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Plus one of that janey. I am willing to spend a lot of money, as this will be what I will sit in for about 40-80 hours a week. :) IKEAs seem nice looks, but I don't think they're that comfortable. Yes the Aerons were nice. Still looking... but the web is laden with wannabe high class chair manufacturers, it is very hard sorting them from the actual good chairs.

5. Tosser macrumors 68030

My vote is going for Variér furniture (used to be Stokke) – or "Håg" for that matter.

They come from a completely different school of thought than most manufacturers, namely you're supposed to sit and move, not sit and slouch.

Ikea? Unless you're really young and/or haven't tried proper work chairs, I'd never consider Ikea for anything except as extra chairs (and I'd hesitate even there).

Link? What do you mean I didn't put links anywhere? ;)

http://www.varierfurniture.com/default.aspx?menu=675

http://www.hag.no/

Edit #2: I have the Thatsit Balance, the Move and one Tok. All super chairs. The Tok is of coursed used as my listening chair and all-around relaxing chair.

6. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, I'm in an 'executive' chair right now, and tbh it's $#^&. Once I was in my work chair, I'd never contemplate cheaping out on a chair, ever again.

What would you suggest in the Variér range, looking at HAG. Sorry can't find the o on top.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

Well there's no need to spend extra money, if you know what I mean. Some of the Aerons I've seen for sale secondhand have been dirt cheap for almost pristine condition.

Also for what it's worth, you don't just need a nice chair, you need a nice workstation setup in general. An awesome chair but an awful desk don't mix that well.

Agreed. I like ikea for some of their products (bookshelves in particular), but for a chair I don't know. For someone doing 40-80 hrs/week in a chair, ikea isn't going to cut it.

8. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

IKEA definitely won't cut it... just too many aches would stem from it.

Mmm, yes, I'm all for a very nice chair at a very nice price, I don't mind going used... just not bad. :)

9. Tosser macrumors 68030

Good advice. I really like electrically adjustable tables, but by jolly they look awful!
    So, my solution was to get a decent desk which fit my height, get a writing plate (you know, one of those angled thingies), and then a montana wall-secretary I could use with the Move (half sitting) when open, and standing full height if using the top.

Yup. I have quite a few of Ikea's smaller items.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

You could also consider wall/desk mounting the monitors and getting wireless keyboards and mice (like the MX revolution, hah). I'm looking into that for my setup when I upgrade (and whenever Apple decides to update the cinema displays). Mounts with adjustable arms can be useful in various ways.

11. Tosser macrumors 68030

Hehe, that's okay. Their website is with an "a" too. :)

I wrote what I have, but I'd definately recommend the thatsit. There are so many positions on that chair you won't believe it. This included a couple of "reversed" positions.
    The move is great as well, but not as "THE" office chair, if only buying one.

The Gravity Balans takes up a huge amount of space when it rolls back. It's a great chair, but it's more like a chair to use in your living room, using it as recliner as well. It's too cumbersome and doesn't have as many work positions as the Thatsit Balans.

The "back rest" on the Thatsit is particularly of interest, as it allows you to use to rest your arms on it, both in "proper" position and in the reverse position. You can sit a little "aschew" (spl?) on it, your legs can sit in various positions, and of course, all these positions can be combined.
    I know, it's a little geeky talking about this in this manner, ha ha, but the reality is that the variety of the positions on that chair makes it my favourite chair of all times.
    I'm not sure I'd recommend getting it in leather, as it will be a bit slippery until it has been "worn" for a while. Oh boy, the things we go through ;)

Yeah, I could. The problem is that my monitors (as in near field speakers) is my tools with a USB-preamp connected to my MBP.

I mostly use the wall-secretary when I use my headphones as monitors, do interviews over the phone, or are typing.
    This way I get to move a lot more, which is great. Variation is great and healthy.

I think, though, that had I been a webdesigner, a photographer or something, I would certainly have done what you suggest, because that line of work would render the Montana module all but useless.

12. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe it is askew, but am definitely not sure :p

I don't want to go with mounted, seems like a a lot of trouble.

The thatsit balans looks nice. Is there a price... I'm guessing shippings going to "ache".

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've been using this chair for 5 years. Got it from Staples. No idea what brand it is, but all I can say is it does height, incline (seat moves into different angles), and recline (back moves into different angles). Wasn't too expensive; seat back is mesh net and the seat padding is mesh with foam.

14. Tosser macrumors 68030

There is a price, and the shipping would certainly hurt.
    But there is another way, the Stokke/Variér furniture is available in the US:

http://www.newdesignsforcomfort.com/

(I also looked the varier site, and as of now, they seem to be the only importer of the furniture "over there").

But at least you wouldn't have to contemplate toll barriers, txes and shipping (except from within your country).

I don't know where you live, but hopefully around their place. Or perhaps they have gotten a dealer closer to you by now so you can test one the chairs.
    (LOL, I sound like a salesman, but I assure you, I have absolutely no affiliation with them - unfortunately, as I could have saved a bunch of money).

Btw, it might be worth looking at amazon, ebay and the like and do a search for "Stokke Thatsit".

15. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Nowhere near :(

I'm in Illinois. Any other options (I'm not spending $800+ on something I can't test :p).

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have an Aeron and I love it. Thinking of having myself buried with it. :D

17. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Hermann Miller Aeron…

Nothing comes close.

I am sitting on one right now that I have had since 1998… 10 years of goodness. Not a creak. Not a wobble.

:D

19. MichaelLogan macrumors newbie

I have an Aeron. It became ubiquitous for a reason--a properly sized and adjusted Aeron is astonishingly comfortable.

It's best to buy an Aeron from an authorized dealer, in person. You'll get a consultation about which size is best for you, and hands-on instructions about how to set it up. At least I did, and it was very helpful.

I have several degenerated disks in my lower back, and the Aeron helps me get through a day's work at my desk in something like comfort.

The only negative I can think of is that they are expensive--but that is overcome by the fact that they last forever.

20. Tosser macrumors 68030

Nope, not that I could find from their site. But you could give them a call/write a mail and ask them?

On second round of research I couldn't find much either, but this is brought up, after clicking on the link which states:

"To purchase VARIÉR products retail click here to be redirected to one of our retail stores."

http://www.backcarebasics.com/Stokke_by_Varier_Seating.htm

I'm sure there's more than BCB who retail their chairs, though. I'd give them a ring.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sitting on it is like floating on air. It is just so damn comfortable. No cons as far as I'm concerned.