Challenge: Find the first non-Apple Montevina laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bollweevil, Jul 17, 2008.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

Which computer company will be the first to announce a Montevina/Centrino 2 machine? Which company will be the first to actually deliver one to a customer? And most importantly, which MacRumors member will be the first to notice each of these events and report it in this thread?

Ladies and gentlemen, start your browsers!

2. schmidt190 macrumors member

im pretty sure it was Sony VAIO that jumped on board first

3. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I give you half a point in a point system which I just invented. I give myself half a point for actually finding the laptop. However, Sony will not even venture a guess as to when this computer will be available. It might take them five years to release the computer, they don't say.

Heck, if I wanted to take a page from Sony's playbook, I could sell you a Montevina MacBook Pro right now. You can be at the very top of my preorder list.

The first person to find a computer with an actual delivery date wins like, um, fifty points.

4. mpw Guest

Err;
    [​IMG]
    from the URL you posted. I could even venture a guest as to which member here has one or two on order already, but I won't; he can chime in if he feels like it.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Companies like Dell and Lenovo will definitely have ones in a few days for early customers; a few weeks later for the reviewers.

6. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Update on the status of the competition:

Sony says they will ship Montevina laptops in "early August."

Lenovo says they will ship Montevina laptops in "3-4 weeks."

Does anybody claim sooner shipping?

And finally, the most exciting part of the challenge: Who will be the first to find actual evidence of a delivered Montevina machine?

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

so we have early august and 3-4 weeks, and people still think apple will have them available in a week?

8. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Well people like Dell and Sony need huge amounts of chips. Perhaps Apple could get away with shipping earlier because they require fewer?

9. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Eric. macrumors regular

11. yien macrumors newbie

i was at bestbuy today and they already had one of those new vaios. the 16inch one with the 1600 X 900 screen

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Hardly. Apple sell a hell of a lot more laptops than Sony. And Dell won't put these for a while into their cheap laptops, in fact I'd hazard a guess that Apple will be the biggest buyer of these chips out of anyone. They are also the third largest buyer of Intel chips in the world.

13. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Alphaod wins all the points, that is what I was looking for. I should just stop looking at the computer makers' websites, because Newegg always has new computers first for some reason. Also, today is the first day I found Montevina Vaio's on Newegg, so it is not like these things have been around for ages without anyone noticing.

Montevina laptops are officially out, I hope Apple starts selling them soon. I want one.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Thank you everyone. I would like to thank my …

*bows* ;)