Chamberlain's 'MyQ Home Bridge' Launches, Adding HomeKit to Compatible Garage Door Openers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After an introduction at CES in January, and an expected launch date of April 2017, Chamberlain's MyQ Home Bridge has today been made available for users to purchase. For users already in the company's MyQ ecosystem, the MyQ Home Bridge will upgrade any MyQ garage door opener with the addition of Apple's HomeKit.

This will allow users to control their garage door with Siri, set scenes within the Home app, and connect a MyQ garage door opener with other HomeKit-enabled devices, so users could make a smart thermostat or light bulb adjust accordingly to when their garage door opens or closes. The company also has a series of MyQ lighting accessories that can be connected to HomeKit, and be controlled with an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch.

[​IMG]
    Following CES in January, Chamberlain-owned company LiftMaster announced that all of its residential garage door openers will be upgradeable with HomeKit compatibility thanks to the new MyQ Home Bridge. Chamberlain itself also announced a Smart Garage Hub aimed at new members entering the MyQ ecosystem of products, but that has missed its July 2017 launch date and it's unclear when it might debut.

Those interested can purchase the MyQ Home Bridge from Chamberlain's website for an introductory price of $49.99, which will rise to $69.99 sometime in the future. The device's page also has a full list of compatible garage door openers and a quick start guide for installing a new Chamberlain device in your garage.

Article Link: Chamberlain's 'MyQ Home Bridge' Launches, Adding HomeKit to Compatible Garage Door Openers

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Looks like this new one is compatible with LiftMaster openers, too? Shipping price is outrageous. Negates the deal pretty much.

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I wonder if Home Depot or Lowe's will carry it?

4. getoffmylawn macrumors newbie

I can confirm (beta tester) that it is compatible with LiftMaster.

5. Muero macrumors newbie

Muero

Yes, the Chamberlain and LiftMaster MyQ products are the same. In fact, in the Chamberlain Group's FCC filings, they admitted that the two HomeKit MyQ bridges, the LiftMaster G819LMB and the Chamberlain MYQ-G0303-SP, "are electrically identical and contain identical assembly boards. The only difference between them is packaging artwork."

6. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

7. profets macrumors 68040

Anyone aware of a product like this for non-LiftMaster/Chamberlain openers?

8. antnee macrumors regular

Yea shipping 13 bucks for ground...PLUS tax? Ugh...

9. hubieonekanubie macrumors regular

hubieonekanubie

Stinks, I bought the old bridge and looks like it won't work with HomeKit.

10. William Gates, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

About time. Been checking every week or so since they said it would be out in April.

Edit: and the website is saying my password is wrong, even though I know I've never changed it and use keychain as well as 1Password (password matches in both). When I try to reset my password the temporary password in the email they send is blank. When I try to order as an anonymous user I get an error "Web service processing error; more details in the web service error log on provider side"

Great job Chamberlain!

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Correct. Even though they promised a free software update to enable HomeKit, and then deleted every mention of it.

No, it's one per household, but I do believe it has a limit on devices, something like 15

12. rselover macrumors newbie

1. Website crushed for everyone else?

2. So what exactly do I need for an old school (but compatible) opener? Just this next to my opener? This + internet gateway? This + old bridge + internet gateway?

13. jtropeano macrumors member

jtropeano

Been looking forward to this product for a while. Now looks like the website is getting the internet hug of death.

14. RMW macrumors newbie

15. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Cool feature that I would set up would be to turn one of the Hue lights red if the garage has been left open.

16. pmas76, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

pmas76 macrumors member

After reading the installation instructions, it doesn't appear that this MyQ Home Bridge requires a LAN line (uses Wi-Fi only). This will definitely allow for some more convenient placement options versus the old MyQ Internet Gateway.

17. rselover macrumors newbie

OK, got on the website and bought one. Still not clear if I need "MyQ Garage" to connect my old school opener to MyQ
    [I suspect I might, but documentation isn't clear, and by that I mean completely uninformative]

18. antnee macrumors regular

19. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

I hope so. I sure could use that 4th ethernet port on my router. I've been holding off getting an ethernet switch.

20. rselover macrumors newbie

This was the conclusion I ultimately came to as well. Pretty gnarly - Why not just integrate them into one box. I suppose you gotta save something for next year!

21. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Why hold off? A 5-port Gigabit switch is less than $20....and wired is always more reliable than WiFi.

22. GOAT4521 macrumors member

$16 to ship it to VA. What a ripoff. I will wait until Amazon has it.

23. guibo macrumors member

Agreed, this is so complicated. For my craftsman door openers, I would have to buy two new motion sensing control consoles + assurelink gateway + myQ home bridge.

What a mess!

Can't someone come along and make a single device that consolidates all this? Should directly wire into the openers and control older ones that are not wifi or wtv.

24. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

Can anyone recommend what model opener to buy if starting from scratch?

25. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I wonder how long they'll keep supporting the old Internet Gateway and MyQ app. They work well for what I need, and I can't see trashing stuff that works fine and blowing more money on stuff that'll essentially do the same thing.