Champagne/Gold 5S made from rare metal, "UNOBTANIUM"!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dapetrun, Sep 21, 2013.

1. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

Yep, "UNOBTANIUM" is what I'm calling that rare metal Apple is using to make their newest iPhone 5S in Champagne/Gold color.

What a crock!!! Apple sure knows how to piss off their customers! After months of waiting for the newest iPhone update to debut, there isn't enough of the newest color Champagne/Gold iPhone to meet demand. I don't think there is enough of ANY color to meet demand. This is exactly what Apple wants, a false indication that their newest iPhone is selling like crazy because the color choice you want can't be found anywhere!!! This story is getting old. It seems like every new iPhone update that comes out there is a purposeful shortage of supply to make the public think the demand is so great Apple just can't keep up with the orders!

I was at my local Apple store an hour before closing the night before the launch and the Apple employee tried to make me believe they had no deliveries of the new iPhones in the back room yet! That they were going to mysteriously appear by tomorrow morning's early 8:00 AM launch and there was no idea on the inventory of iPhones delivered or expected. What kind of BS is Tim Cook's marketing trying to sell us?

Why not offer a month early pre-order of the new iPhone beginning on the day it is announced in the US and let the Chinese workers get all the overtime they want to produce them according to the demand? Apple's marketing strategy is sick and needs overhauled.

I am looking to buy 3 Champagne/Gold 32 GB T-Mobile 5S iPhones and you would think that $2,300 cash would get some kind of solid estimate for delivery from Apple but, not so. Sometime in October isn't good enough when you are trading in 3 existing iPhones. They expect me to trade-in my old 4S units and wait patiently for the 5S delivery? Not gonna happen!

Sorry for my rant. Maybe I will wait for their supply to catch up to their well expected orders or maybe I will see what Samsung has to offer. I'm getting sick and tired of Apple's same old BS. YMMV, JMHO

2. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Talk about a crock! I waited in the apple store line from 5A.M at saddle creek in germantown Tenn and I was close enough to the front of the line to know that they only sold about 10 gold and 10 silver and had about 200 vouchers for space grey SPACE GREY thats reminds me of the silver moon for some reason? But anyways from 5 A.m till I was next in line lasted till about 10:30 A.M ohh I forgot to add I was coming to get a unlocked 5s which they had NONE not 1 unlocked phone so I accepted the at&t voucher thinking I could still buy a at&t phone off contract NOPE I was turned away with $800 cash in my hand begging to buy a 5s for full price they laughed at me because I use pre paid service and they really didnt care I had drove from a state over and waited all day.I guess policy is policy but I thought that without contract meant that you didnt have to have a contract.
    Long story short the radio shack in my hometown was glad to sell me one for full price and I will never enter another apple store instead I will please my local radio shack paying full price at every iphone launch and be glad to do it.

3. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I woke up at 4AM and arrived at the mall sometime after 5AM. The local mall doesn't let anyone in before 5AM. I believe there were 50 people in front of me. I ended up with a space grey 64GB.

I'm disappointed, but not mad. I had a white 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5; so I guess it was time for a change.

Still disappointed with Tim Cook's alleged mastery of the supply chain. Yeah, right.:mad:

4. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I know right?Change is what drives us (me at least) to want the new products out.They KNOW that the gold iphone is gonna sell why not try to please customers and let them get what the want instead of dangling it out of reach,like anyone would have been mad if there was a shortage of space grey!I did end up with a space grey and at least it is different than the black 5 although I did like the slate.The only people I seen get a 5c were people that settled for one instead of nothing maybe its just the store I was at did anybody else notice this.

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes, yes you are.

7. silvershamrock macrumors member

Everyone in my social network knew that I was planning to get a 5S, and without exception they all wanted to know where I was lining up on launch day.

Nobody believed me when I told them I had no intention of lining up anywhere. It's not as if the phones are only on sale for that 24-hr period and anyone who doesn't get a phone on launch day will never get one at all.

Some people do choose to line up, and that's fine. But from my perspective, there are too many advantages to waiting until the initial buying frenzy has settled down:

1 - you can stroll into the store at your leisure
    2 - you get to choose from a full selection of available phones
    3 - you get the undivided attention of the (infinitely less frazzled) salesperson, which translates into a better customer service experience
    4 - you can get the specific phone you wanted, usually on the spot
    5 - you get to benefit from the multiple user reviews that always come out within the first week or so
    6 - you don't have to deal with all the stress involved in fighting to be the first on your block to have a new phone
    7 - you don't spend hours (or days) waiting in a line, only to leave empty-handed at the end of it
    8 - you don't end up feeling as if your basic human rights have been violated when it turns out that the specific phone you wanted is no longer available by the time you get to the counter

Anyone who does wait in the launch-day line-up has got to know (before they left their homes) that there was a chance it would all be for nothing and the store would be sold out of the specific phone they wanted by the time they got in. Last time I checked, that's just life in the big city, folks.

JMO.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

To be fair, the launches under Steve Jobs were utter disasters from a supply chain perspective. Tim Cook's first launch wholly under his control was the 3rd iPad, which went off without a hitch (no shortages anywhere) and sold a bundle.

My guess is that Apple legitimately got caught off guard by the popularity of the gold model. The store I was at in Chicago actually had a fair amount of iPhone stock (Verizon and AT&T models, at least), but no gold. Perhaps it's a lack of women in the C-suite. Apple figured gold would sell well in China, but probably didn't realize it would be popular in the US, where historically we prefer platinum and silver over gold.