Chan Elite and more removed from App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by anyjungleinguy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. anyjungleinguy macrumors regular

Chan Elite, along with certain other apps that provided access to the 4chan website have been removed from the App Store.

http://legendarysoftwarelabs.com/2012/06/13/chan-elite-is-gone/

Apple cite "user generated objectionable content". A broad term if there ever was one.

NSFW boards couldn't be viewed by default anyway, they had to be added manually. What's funny though is that Apple hasn't removed any Reddit or 9gag apps that feature plenty of "user generated objectionable content" and NSFW work content.

In fact, there's plenty of apps on the App Store that offer "user generated objectionable content".

What can be considered "user generated objectionable content" is far too subjective and it shouldn't be enforced in a "one rule for some, one rule for others" approach.

It's not as even though the app added a new feature to break the rules. Everything it currently offers was there when Apple first approved it. Now, they decide to take it away - leaving everyone who paid for it out in the cold.

Has anyone ever got a refund for an app that has been removed from the store? Regardless of it still being on my device currently, it won't be after an iCloud restore. Not to mention, the app would cease to work correctly as it would have certainly required future updates to ensure compatibility with the 4chan website.

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

I never liked 4chan much. There are more idiots in there than anti-Apple commenters in a blog post.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I had an iPhone 4 stolen.

After buying a replacement & syncing it, I found that five ebooks I purchased had been removed from the store. Feeling less than satisfied it was a lesson in getting screwed by Apple. Live and learn.

In all the years I've bought ebooks from Amazon, not once have they pulled such a cheap careless stunt.

4. anyjungleinguy thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that's the thing isn't it, "live and learn" what exactly?

No one should have to feel hesitant in buying content because it may be removed from the at a later date, it's atrocious.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I learned that Apple removes books after you've paid, therefore I got screwed. I had no idea until this experience.

After being a very loyal, satisfied customer since 1991, I've also learned first hand how Apple has changed it's overall attitude. No longer can one count on them. That's fine, it's their right, I've accepted it. I may not like it, but I'm not ready to stop buying their products... Yet.

I've simply reframed how I view them. It's like gambling in Las Vegas, one knows going in, who's going to come out on top. And it's not me :)

It's only money :eek:

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Sadly this has lead to me doing something I rather not. I buy my content, books, videos, music, etc... first thing I do (if possible) is to remove the DRM and back it up. Thus I can do what I want and they cannot remove it from me. Would rather not do this, but I've heard one too many stories like this. :(