Chance of free replacement? mid 07' MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WAM2, Oct 13, 2011.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Alright so my mid 07 mbp will be here soon, its the 2.4ghz, 8600m 256mb. I Suspect it will have the Silent GPU Failure, although it is in fully working condition, I Think the GPU May be back anyway, so I'm taking it to the apple store as soon as i get it to have it checked. So with my luck if it is a bad GPU, I am sure i am at least a month out of the 4 year free replacement period, but I'm not worried about that at my Apple store guys are pretty cool about that kind of stuff. My worry is that, Although the macbook pro works great, no problems at all. The case isn't in Great condition, the Metal is bent by the Magsafe and by the DVI Port. Will they say they can't replace it because its caused by me although it is working fine??

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Good question..hen I had this MBP shipped to me from the seller I went to Apple store right away for test even though GPU is working just fine but the error code says the GPU is not working so they want to replace logic board at no extra charge..it takes about 4 days...

Not sure about metal bent..why don't you try to convice Apple Store..you might be lucky.

Good luck

3. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Exactly what I thought. Thanks for your input!

4. vga4life macrumors 6502

I had my '07 Santa Rosa MBP serviced last month, right before AppleCare ran out. (I bought it as a refurb after it was discontinued which is why AppleCare was still valid for it in the first place.)

This machine had already gotten a logic board replacement in 2010 due to GPU failure. I was having a few minor issues with it & wanted to get as much as possible sorted out before AppleCare expired. I figured, hey, maybe they won't have parts and there's a new machine in it.

Hate to tell you, but Apple clearly has plenty of pre-unibody parts stockpiled.

This time they replaced the following:
    - optical drive
    - top case/trackpad/keyboard
    - logic board
    - I/O board
    - battery

The only other parts they didn't replace were the hard drive, RAM, bottom case, and screen. I basically got a freshly-refurbished 2007 Macbook Pro back from them. Not complaining, it was 100% covered by AppleCare and - I'm sure I can sell it now for $600 and recoup a third of what I had in it (purchase price, plus RAM and HD upgrades) which isn't bad for a 3+ year old laptop. All I'm saying is don't expect a shiny new MBP. They've still got plenty of Santa Rosa parts.

5. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Yeah I'm not expecting that, More so my question was what are my chances of getting the Logic board replaced free? My machines has case damage (nothing that would cause a GPU Failure though ^_^ . And May be out of the Applecare/Free GPU Replacement period by a month.. What are my chances of them replacing the board for free?

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

How can we answer that? Why don't you just go and see? Asking us won't help you in any way possible.

7. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Asking people because I'd like their experience, My Apple store is a 2-3 hour drive. I Really don't want to waste my time is other people haven't had any luck.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Why not try calling the Apple store then? You're asking us for something that's complete chance and completely dependent on who you talk to and how you present the problem at the store.

You want a free replacement; it's possible, but it isn't likely. Nobody knows for sure. That's pretty much all the information you can get.

You also have to remember that there are only so many people here who could actually answer this, AND it's still 1,2 or 3 people, not enough to actually gauge any REAL information from. It's like people polling here for men/women getting the black/white iphone. It's cool, but it doesn't mean anything. It never will.

So you can do 2 things. Call them, see what they say, or drive down there. Worse case scenario is a no. Best is a yes and free. You could see how much it is and, if willing, pay it.

But asking us won't do you any good. Not being mean, but if you just think about the details of it all, and then look at the big picture, we can't really help.

9. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Thats the kind of answer I'm looking for. Thank you. I'll give em a call.