Chance of future 2016 15" iGPU only (Iris 580)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keviig, Dec 17, 2016.

1. keviig macrumors 6502

With dGPU's usually being more prone to issues, producing more heat, using more power (and thus lower battery life) I'd consider the 15" once it ships with iGPU only.
    I think the Iris 580 would perform very well, considering how well the Iris 550 is doing. The Iris 550 is a 48 EU part while the Iris 580 is a 72 EU part.

The previous gen 15" shipped as iGPU only models.
    What do people think the chances are of a 2016 15" iGPU only model?

Obviously we'll have to wait for Intel to release the appropriate CPU, but i think it would make for a great laptop. This is however not a thread for bashing on dGPU's, as they are very good for their use.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Unlikely, as I doubt they'd release anything new until Kaby lake arrives.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Certainly hope so, but Freyqq is mosr likely correct.

4. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

Nil. There are no Iris Pro 580 equivalents on Intel road maps for Kaby Lake and beyond. Additionally, Apple appears to want to drive multiple 4K and 5K monitors. The Intel iGPUs can't do that.

5. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

6. leman macrumors 604

Probability is basically zero at this point. Intel is discontinuing their Pro series of graphics. Which kind of makes sense from the business perspective for them, between manufacturing issues and the massive increase of efficiency of AMD and Nvidia GPUs. But on the other hand, their 'Pro' tech is going into lower-tier dual-core CPUs. The new 'stratagem' is to have fast iGPU with dual-core CPUs and slower iGPU with quad-core CPUs — the later are designed to be paired with faster dGPUs.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2016 ---
    A much more likely explanation is that Intel was simply not able to deliver enough of those CPUs to satisfy Apple's demand. There were reports of manufacturing issues with these Skylakes and the computers which ship them are literally a drop in the water.

7. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

More likely explanation is that the dgpu, radeon 450, would look ridiculous with iris pro 580.

8. Jaekae macrumors 6502

Intel gpu drivers stink, id rather get rid of those slow buggy igpus. And have only amd or nvidia.

9. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Integrated GPU is being phased out of future CPUs anyway.

10. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I don't know why you think dGPU means more issue... even if there is issue, it's because of dual GPU switch, not dGPU. both iMac and Mac Pro only use dGPU, they had no issue at all..
    and apple treats 15inch MacBook Pro more like a power horse on the go, so even if there is too much dual-gpu issue, that it's so unreliable, I guess they will remove the iGPU and only keep dGPU.. not the other way around.

11. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

No, it's not.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Please provide some source material on this, I'd like to read up on this.

13. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I wish! I have no use of a dGPU so I would appreciate the extra battery life and lower heat of a nice iGPU.

14. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Am pretty sure this has been covered by this site's new section.

15. leman macrumors 604

Correction: high-end integrated GPU is being phased out of high-end CPUs by Intel. The integrated GPUs are still the future.

16. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Thanks for clarification.

17. Trusteft macrumors regular

Trusteft

I don't know about you guys, but it always made more sense to me to have a fast CPU combined with a fast igpu. Why put a faster igpu with a lower performing 2 core cpu? I don't get it. I want to have a powerful igpu for my fast cpu so that I don't have to get a dedicated gpu.

18. Branskins macrumors 65816

Can iris pro support 2 5K monitors at 60Hz? I thought that is why they went with the 400 series: allowable number of ports to support 5K

19. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Fast iGPUs are basically a compromise. Generally speaking, people who want a high-end CPU are also going to want a dGPU as well. The slow iGPU is added to the package as well so that when nothing intense is going on, there's less heat and more battery life. The fast iGPU sits in between these two, and as a whole is less versatile.

20. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

There are many reasons, cost might be the most important.

All core-based CPUs are made out of a few different Die-types.
    - 4 Cores, GT2 GPU (mobile and desktop quadcores)
    - 4 Cores, GT4e GPU (with Iris Pro graphics)
    - 2 Cores, GT2 GPU (mobile and desktop dualcores)
    - 2 Cores, GT3e GPU (with Iris graphics)

That's only 4 Dies for everything from 5W Core M up to 90W i7-6700k.

By throwing out Iris Pro, you can reduce it to 3 Dies while only abandoning zero-point-something percent of your lineup.

And it doesn't stop at the extra Die. You need driver support, the actual R&D for Iris Pro and so on.