Chance of getting one Friday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jtinch, Sep 15, 2014.

1. jtinch macrumors newbie

Just sold my 5s, and now contemplating on where to order my 6 from. Any chance some stores might have the phones on Friday? No Apple Stores in my area, and the online store says it wouldn't arrive until Oct. 4-7th with their "7-10 day shipping." I know I screwed myself by waiting, but does anyone have advice?

2. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

3. Lasereyes macrumors member

Get a tent, a lawn chair and a laptop or book, and line-up at your local retail store at around midnight. Good luck!

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You'll be wasting your time at anywhere but Apple. Everywhere else will only get very few & you won't have a choice.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Maybe. Maybe not.

Last year for 5S, walked into Walmart. They had some phones mid morning,but only 16gb. Went to Sams - same thing. Walked in to ATT and was 3 or so in line and got my 32gb.

No big deal.

6. JOHNGAETANO macrumors 6502

JOHNGAETANO

The 5s is a bad example of a new release. The demand wasn't the same. This is similar to the first iPhone in 2007.

JOHN

7. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

_no_body_ can predict what will happen on Friday, because _no_body_ knows except for Apple, and therefore _no_body_ should be making predictions.

The 6 Plus sold out, so we think that big is this year's Gold. But perhaps the online sellout is because all the geeks in the world bought it up. Maybe demand for the regular 6 will be bigger than the 6 Plus at the end of the day. Who knows.

Who knew Gold would be such a bombastic hit during the initial rush last year?

8. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

This !! Well said .. Nobody knows but apple

9. itjw macrumors 65816

People willing to be flexible and NOT get a + will be fine on Friday. There will be stock, you will have to wait, but the base 6 will be around.

The +? 1/2 per store is my guess. That's right. Half a phone. Enjoy it! Don't even need to double tap the home button!

10. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

just remember if you cannot get one on Friday most of these stores will get another shipment on Saturday so you would least have another chance Saturday. However I would go to a Verizon or AT&T store that's out of town in a small town you'll have better luck getting a phone there

11. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

This! I plan on attempting to get one on Friday... yet I remain skeptical of getting one. But the beauty in taking the chance is the rumored virtual reservation they are planning to have set up.

By getting there reasonably early I will at least be put into the system. I'm sure before the store opens that they will take information from the people in line.. Determine how much stock they have. And if I'm unable to get one that day.. By having my name in the system.. whenever new stock arrive I'll have one reserved.

12. AceMason macrumors regular

Our Apple store is one of the largest in the west coast but they didn't get any shipments of the Gold model the day after the launch of the 5S. So YMMV

13. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Wouldn't put too much hope into Verizon or AT&T store getting many iPhones in stock. Odds are better going with Apple Store.. Since I"m sure more are allocated to them compared to other retailers..

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

No Apple store in your area means I do not like your chances come Friday. Heck most are unsure if all preorders will be filled elsewhere.

15. itjw macrumors 65816

One of the most reasonable responses I've heard. Good for you (seriously).

If only the other 200,000, "gotta have it today or my life will be over" folks shared that attitude lol...

I really don't think there will be more Plus's than there were Gold 5S's last year (in store). It seems like they even sold out faster online (and remember, last year it wasn't even for launch day delivery).

It'll be interesting. Get your popcorn ready.

Good luck with your hunt!

16. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I think your best bet for Friday purchase is to try getting one at your carriers location. Skip the Apple store circus and head to your AT&T, Verizon, etc. I think you'd be surprised at the lack of a line or at least the reasonableness of a line there compared to Apple. That's what I am doing. And if I'm wrong then I'll just order one up and wait for it to be delivered.

17. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I think the Gold was an aberration.. IMO. They introduced a new color.. and it brought a WOW factor. And most importantly it was a differentiator to the iPhone 5. Walking around in the gold model.. people would know that it's a 5s. Heck, even Samsung and other manufactures copied Apple idea with releasing a gold model. Eventually the idea became mute.

But with the 6+.. I tend to think there will be more. Only because the Pick Up option is available for them.. but that's only if someone is doing a 2 year contract. I plan on doing the Next contract.. And I could care less what color I get.

18. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

Just called my local Verizon store and was told that they for sure will have a decent stock of the Plus, still going to be limited but at least I have peace of mind that it'll be possible to pick one up, of course depending on the line. I'm going to try to be first, going around midnight if security lets me.

19. desertrat23 macrumors member

For those who are more plugged in to Apple Stores and their stock:

How often do they typically restock? My wife and I ordered 6's to deliver Friday but she wants to take her chances at swapping for a 6+. I told her unless she's willing to wait in line all night (not bloody likely, and I'm sure not doing it) she has almost NO chance on Friday of getting one. But, if stores restock, she may be able to go early/at open on Saturday in case they get a few.

Do they typically get new shipments daily after big launches?

20. dagored macrumors 65816

Since the Queen and I both want a 6(she thinks 6+ is just too big for a phone), the consensus is those will be more in supply on Friday?

We are looking for slate 64 gig, but 128 would be fine.

Comments?

21. desertrat23 macrumors member

Everything I've seen seems to indicate that 6's are more likely to be in stock. I think the 6 is plenty big for me, so I'm happy.

Apple's saying 7-10 days on that particular model if you preorder, which isn't great but a lot better than some are getting.

22. erikjc macrumors member

I'm not super concerned with getting the phone on launch day, so I'm thinking of showing up at the Apple Store around 8 am so I can look at the demo phones first, then might get in line. I know there will be a ton of people in front of me, but what are the chances I'll get a 6, 64gb Verizon?

23. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I don't think you'll have ANY trouble getting a 6. The Plus on the other hand....

Also, just a heads up: when I visited the Apple Store on launch day (for the 5) they wouldn't let anyone in the store (unless you had non-iPhone related business). Only the next people in line could go in. Now, with 2 models to choose between, they might change that. Just putting it out there...

:apple:

24. turbo350z macrumors newbie

If you show up around 6 you will have a better shot. And you will still be able to check it out before you buy.

25. erikjc macrumors member

Ok good to know. I've either done preorder or personal pickup in the past, so I wasn't sure.