Chance the 13" rMBP will have HD5200 graphics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aegelward, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

With the news from semi-accurate that Intel might be preparing custom chips for Apple's new lineup of notebooks i'm starting to have a glimmer of hope that rather than the 5100, we'll see the 5200 appearing in the Retina series.

While not powerful as the 650m seen in the current macbooks, it's roughly equivalent to a 640m or 645m, which is about good as it gets in the 13" formfactor.

Though, there is some issues with it handling large resolutions, at least in graphically intensive applications such as games.

Anyone else got their fingers crossed?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Nope, pretty much no chance at all. Those custom chips are for the 15-inch. I'm going to be perfectly happy with 5100.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Fingers crossed is one thing, but knowing what apple is doing is a completely different thing. We can only wait and see :cool:

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

As late as Haswell is this round I just might sit out until the next release... Fall of 2014 maybe. OSX 10.9 really flies on my Early 2011 and so far I'm content with HD3000.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I guess that one can at least hope that the iGPU on the 13'' could be as powerful as the HD5200. I hope we get more leaks about that "special Apple Haswell" soon.

6. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Approaching zero, unless Intel actually makes a bespoke chip.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Intel is, well kind of... but it's a high performance and high wattage one that will almost certainly go in the 15" rMBP and not the 13" rMBP.

8. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

The chips with 5200 Pro graphics consume far too much power for the 13" form factor

9. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Not that they can't theoretically stick it into one of the lower-power dual-cores. In fact, the just need to add the Crystalwell.

10. bill-p macrumors 65816

Pretty much no hope at all as stated.

It's not as simple as adding Crystalwell. The reason why HD 5200 only appears on higher-priced and higher-performance chip is because the yield is lower (they're integrating more components, which requires more precision), and overall power consumption + cost to manufacture go up high enough that it just doesn't make any sense sticking it into a lower-TDP version.

If OEM has to choose between a quad-core chip and a dual-core that are at the same TDP and same price, they would obviously choose the quad-core chip, so Intel wouldn't be able to sell too many of the dual-core Iris Pro chips, if at all.