Chances Amazon will stock iPad 3 on day 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NHDrumline17, Feb 28, 2012.

1. NHDrumline17 macrumors member

I have some Amazon credit that I want to use towards an iPad 3, and wondering if there is a chance that they'll have it on launch day.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Is there a chance? Yes.

Is there a good chance? I'd guess probably not.

Mute point though, I'm sure it will be well known in advance of release what outlets will/won't stock the devices.

3. poloponies Suspended

Considering they don't even sell the iPad 2 (although you can get it from a number of 3rd parties), it's anyone's guess if they'll have it at all.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

0.001%

Amazon didn't sell iPad and didn't sell iPad 2.

5. Akack macrumors 6502a

6. falcora macrumors 6502

Use your amazon credit to buy an apple or best buy gift card.

7. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

amazon had some variety of the ipad1 for a while, but none of the ipad2s. last year i bought from b&h simply to save myself $50 in taxes...

8. vega07 macrumors 65816

There's probably no chance that BH or other retailers who don't charge tax to California will have it launch day, right? I'd really like to save the $50 being a broke college student and all. I'd like to sell m iPad 2 now for the best resell price but I can't go without my iPad because it's my primary device.

9. maclook macrumors 65816

BH doesn't charge sales tax in CA eh? Who else doesn't? That's a lot of money saved.

10. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

lol. Have you seen the reviews on the third party seller on amazon? That company seems to ship the gift cards really slow and would probably take 3-4 weeks to get to your house "maybe". But that is if he doesn't send you a gift card that doesn't work at all then he will have to resend you another gift card and it will take a long time. check the reviews out. And amazon won't get it because they want the Kindle to sell and if they sold the iPad 3 people would just buy that instead of the Kindle Fire.

----------

all by third party sellers.

11. vega07 macrumors 65816

I've bought my iPads from BH and this retailer from Oregon but I cannot recall the name. Yep, with $50 bucks, I can buy two USMLE prep books.

12. falcora macrumors 6502

Wow, I had no idea that gift cards on amazon were like that. Thanks for the tip.

13. MaleficientOne macrumors newbie

So, to be clear, there's virtually no reseller who does not charge sales tax who will have the iPad 3 stocked on launch day, is that right? I usually order most of my electronics through Amazon and their Warehouse deals, combined with Prime it's almost impossible to get better outside of one-off fire sales. I'd rather not wait in line, I never saw myself as "that kind" of Apple person...but I do need it on launch day. I'm miserable without the one I sold off about 2 weeks ago.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Not a chance you will get one.

Amazon USED to be the first to get things but no they do it VERY seldom. Even if they did got "some" iPad 3 units, it would not be enough to get to where you would be on the list!

15. jctivo macrumors member

confused

I don't care about paying sales tax, will someone on Amazon have Ipad3 with paying sales tax? I did the southwest credit card deal in the fall and got $600 worth of amazon gift cards just for this purpose of buying ipad 3. I thought at the time I saw ipad2 being sold on amazon through target or something. Maybe I was wrong please help.

I've been waiting so patiently for this.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    jctivo

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

1. amazon will never sell it directly. amazon will probably have third party sellers, like apple, supplying the ipad. see the ipad2 page for details
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Ta...VWLW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330520163&sr=8-4

2. if you look under the "86 new" link you'll see all sorts of sellers. my guess is that there will not be stock available for quite a while, because the main one is apple, and they have enough trouble supplying the demands of their own customers.

i don't think the question is one of "whether" amazon will stock it, but "when." i would spend that 600 dollars on something else, and get the ipad from apple directly if i were you :)

17. jctivo macrumors member

ok

thanks for the information. I guess I never really understood this. I don't have that luxury to spend it on something else. I guess I screwed up. I'm so mad.

18. palpatine macrumors 68040

i easily spend that much at amazon every year with or without the ipad. if you become a prime member, then you gain free two-day shipping for a lot of stuff, and you can shift your purchases from the grocery store to amazon: toilet paper, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent, etc., etc. i think you'll be able to spend that 600 pretty easily! no reason to be mad :)

19. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Nope, Apple Stores and probably BB etc. That's it. I choose not to stand in line, so mine will come direct from Apple which means waiting a little longer. This does have advantages though...I will get an idea of any manufacturing flaws...Like the screen-bleed issue with the two.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

i'm probably ordering as well. people standing in line at bb last year got a raw deal in my area. i think they only had a handful of 16gb black ipads, and i saw people buying 64gb 3g models they didn't even want! that sucks. i don't mind the lines. i can sit in line and read a book, or read a book in a coffee shop. it's all the same to me. but, i don't want to end up having to choose between going home empty handed and spending hundreds more on a device i don't need. i know what my choice would be :)

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

For iPad 2, only major retailers got them on launch day.

Mail order companies get them later.

You can go to a tax free state such as New Hampshire but that might not be worth your gas expense.