Chances Apple enabled 13" rMBP to run 4k/60Hz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thares, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

Hey guys,

I know this is highly speculative, but maybe some of you have some experience with Apple withholding or sharing features.

According to http://rene.rebe.de/2014-01-27/dell-ultrasharp-24-4k-up2414q-on-mac/ the current (late 2013) MacBook Pro 15" (Iris Pro) is capable of running a 4k display at 60 Hz. Also, someone tested this with the 13" (Iris) rMBP - it worked under Windows.

So my question is whether you think Apple would 'give' the 13" the needed drivers to run a 4k display at 60 Hz - or not. I think, according to Intel the chipset in the 13" is not meant to run 4k/60 Hz. But I'm not sure about this.

Looking forward to hear your opinions.

Daniel

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

It's never gonna happen.

It has nothing to do with official or not, it is a straight hardware limitation on the Intel hardware side of things for the 13" models. From Intel's official documentation:

Code:
    Maximum supported resolution:
    H-Processors: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz - 15" rMBP
    U-Processors: 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz - 13" rMBP
    All 13" rMBP have U class processors, all 15" rMBP have H class processors.

3. Thares thread starter macrumors regular

Thares

Thanks for the explanation. I read that somewhere. But one user tested whether 4k/60 Hz worksfor the 13":

'Mavericks - does not show hidpi modes (note: need to try ResolutionTab)
    Bootcamp - shows the monitor as 2 monitors running in portrait. Other than this, it works @ 60hz.'​
    So it seems, technically it works somehow.

4. TheIguana, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

I am highly suspicious of the claim that someone was running 4k @60Hz on a 13" rMBP. From everything we know from Intel that just isn't possible with the chips used in the 13" rMBP.

The highest I have seen anyone running the 13" rMBP at is 52Hz at 4k using SwitchResX manual settings - that is technically possible as it just hits the processors bandwidth limits. Beyond that you are exceeding the bandwidth available on a U-series chip.

The Bootcamp method setup where it is acting as two separate monitors makes sense on paper but that is not 4k - it is cheating because you are using two completely separate display channels - the computer is outputting two completely different monitor outputs and outputting that as two separate DisplayPort channels. With 4k support on the 15" rMBP the system produces a full 4k image then splits it between two DisplayPort channels using MST to send to the monitor where it is reassembled as a single display output.

From a numbers perspective:

For this bootcamp thing you are effectively pushing two completely separate DisplayPort channels at 2160x1920 @ 60Hz but without any MST magic - thats ~8.33Gbit/s each. So the processors graphics is drawing two 8.33Gbit/s channels and then outputting that as two separate DisplayPort channels.

This fits inside the max capacity of DisplayPort which is 8.64Gbit/s and is well under the maximum of about ~12.46Gbit/s official maximum per DisplayPort channel Intel has set for U-series processors (this is based on the max listed resolution at 60Hz of 3200x2000. However, pushing it to the limit the maximum throughput I have seen people successfully achieve is running 4k @ 52Hz (this uses ~13.83Gbit/s of bandwidth).

To compare, on the 15" rMBP when you are pushing out 4k @ 60Hz the system is producing a 4k image with total bandwidth consumption of ~16.02Gbit/s, then using MST it splits this image into two DisplayPort channels and transfers it as one big DisplayPort signal over Thunderbolt 2. This is possible because H-series processors support at minimum outputting a ~16.02Gbit/s bandwidth consuming signal.

Moral of the Story: If you need 4k @ 60Hz buy a Mac Pro, a 15" rMBP or wait for the next revision of the rMBP that might come late this fall - but more probably in January next year.

5. Thares thread starter macrumors regular

Thares

Thank you very much your detailed explanation!

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Is there even a noticeable difference between 52 and 60