Chances Apple Will Replace Screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SubaruNation555, Feb 23, 2011.

1. SubaruNation555, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I purchased a refurbished Mid-2009 MacBook Pro from Apple.com last week and the unit I received has a yellow tint plaguing the bottom 1/6th of the screen. Truth be told, it doesn't and probably never will really affect my work but it is really annoying and it seems unacceptable for a computer of this price.

I have an appointment with a genius this evening but was just curious to see what kind of luck people have had with defects of this nature. I've only ever had to deal with Apple on larger, more pressing computer issues.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

3. jacobp89 macrumors newbie

If you recently just purchased it then it should come with another 1 year warranty if I'm not mistaking. I have seen this problem with the iPhone 4 and people were getting them replaced for free. I don't see why it would be any different for the Macbook. It's technically a defect in the hardware, so they should repair/replace the screen for you under warranty.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Why don't you make it easy on yourself rather than going to the GB and sending it off for repair - you're within your return window, so just call Apple and ask for an exchange. Problem solved.

Or, if you think you can live with it, you can ask for them to compensate you for living with the issue, but I'd just get a replacement.

5. SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response. In order to return it because of a defect, Apple says I need to deal with tech support first. Returns for other reasons incur a 10% restocking fee because I've opened the box. I think dealing with Apple support in person is probably going to be the easiest approach. I did think about exchanging it though.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That's pretty bad. I'm sure a genius can help you exchange it. A screen should not be that yellow.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would imagine talking to support is about the only way to do it. I'm sure they'll replace it, possibly even the whole machine, although I wouldn't count on that part.

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yeah, dealing with it in person is definitely good, if you bring it into an Apple Store you can explain about the tint, and they can see it, there is no really saying no directly to you.

9. SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just the standard one year warranty that comes with new Macs.

10. SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the screen is getting replaced, the genius was very nice and helpful. I'm always scared of dead pixels on any new LCD though...