Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_GB) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So will we see a new/updated Touch or is the Touch on it's death bed?

Sales for the iPod have been on the decline and what with the iPhone and iPad taking centre stage, the iTouch has been left to fend for itself. To be honest there is not much left that can be done with the Touch compared with the iPhone and iPads.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I am sick of Apple only caring for the iPhone and iPad. First the iPhone requires a contract or you pay much for it. Second the iPad is too big to carry around as a portable. The Touch is perfect. As long as you have WiFi you can stream radio, play games and do other things. Although I have a white Touch I bought in December they still better release a new Touch in September. Now Apple news is all iPhone this and iPad this. I am sick of it. Don't they realize that if it was not for the iPod there would be no iPhone or iPad. :mad::apple:

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_GB) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like you and I'm sure others are hoping that the Touch will get some enhancements this year.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
I'd say there's no chance at all that the iPod touch is on it's deathbed. It's the iPod classic that should look out. The iPod touch is the only iPod with a full iOS interface, and is still a very good iPhone alternative. Some people, believe it or not, don't want to pay for or don't need the abilities of the iPhone (e.g. tweens/teens/people who only want a cell phone for the phone, etc.). Heck, I'm 21 and I like my dumbphone for it's amazingly long battery life and it's bulletproof construction. I don't have even have texting! I don't feel like I'm missing out! Well, maybe every now and then I do, but it's not often... I'm old school like that! I even use fountain pens!!!
I like my iPod touch for being an iPhone without the phone. That being said, I'll probably get an iPhone later this year, but only cause I'll need a new cell phone, and because I'm moving cross country and will finally appreciate what I can gain from internet everywhere, and having GPS abilities, etc. And I'll be making buckets and buckets more money than I do now.

I think the iPod touch was just stuck in a rut for the past year, kinda like the Mac Pro. They could've added a few things to it, like a doubling in capacity, or GPS, or high def video/better camera, but nothing really was ready obviously to put into it, like how the only real upgrade to the Mac Pro really could've only been some GPUs or thunderbolt. All else they're waiting on Intel. 2012 should be a big year for both, I'd bet. Hopefully they ditch the chrome back and make it shaped like the first iPhone or the current gen iPhone but with brushed aluminum. That'd be nice. It'd allow a better camera, better battery, more room inside for the more integrated circuits, etc.

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012

The Touch is perfect for me. I use it at home and with the secure wifi connection it's fantastic and out and about with the wifi connections it don't cost me a penny.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska

The Touch is perfect for me. I use it at home and with the secure wifi connection it's fantastic and out and about with the wifi connections it don't cost me a penny.

Exactly. Apple would be dumb to let it sit as it is for another year. It's an almost perfect alternative to the cell phone-ified iPhone. I will go out on a limb and say this year will be the biggest jump in features it have seen since it came out in 2008 originally.

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012

The one thing i would like is a bigger screen. Apart from that i have no issues at all.

Aradar

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
I am sick of Apple only caring for the iPhone and iPad. First the iPhone requires a contract or you pay much for it. Second the iPad is too big to carry around as a portable. The Touch is perfect. As long as you have WiFi you can stream radio, play games and do other things. Although I have a white Touch I bought in December they still better release a new Touch in September. Now Apple news is all iPhone this and iPad this. I am sick of it. Don't they realize that if it was not for the iPod there would be no iPhone or iPad. :mad::apple:

Exactly what I think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.