Chances for the 2018 MBP refresh before September/August?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dvir971, Jun 11, 2018.

1. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

Hi,
    Starting university in September and I’ve been planning on buying a MacBook Pro for Computer Science courses, however since we are so close thought I should wait for the 2018 update.

Apple chose to be ‘unpredictable’ and announce nothing notable at WWDC this year, any chance we’ll see this refresh around/before August or do you think it’ll probably happen only later on the year?

Thanks!

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Chose to be unpredictable not announcing hardware at a developer conference? That’s not unpredictable at all. Apple has moved away from announcing stuff at WWDC. Besides the 2017 MacBook you last had the 2013 macs update announced at WWDC. If there going to announce anything it will be early September with a late September release. If you need a MacBook I would see if there is good deals for a 2017 and buy one on sale vs a 2018 model. At best it will be a spec update and a minor revision of the keyboard. Nothing major

3. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

Pretty much 50:50 - they could appear with a press release next week, equally Apple could decide they want to go for a full (or partial?) redesign to fix the flaws the current machines have and push any new release back to next year. Apple seem to slowly be drifting towards multi-year updates across their product lines (apart from the cash cow iphone) so I don’t think it being another 6 months yet would be surprising in the slightest...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the odds of seeing an update during the summer is pretty low, September or October is more likely.

5. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

I would have to agree. Even if they do come out with "new" models in time for your studies to start, odds are they're going to be very small upgrades (the only thing that may be worth it is if they change the keyboard around a bit) - other than that, I purchased a 2016 model from B&H and saved over $1000 - believe that the 2017 models started receiving notable discounts as well.

6. silber macrumors newbie

Contrary to popular belief here, WWDC is not a hardware conference. No one can predict with any reasonable accuracy when an updated model will be released. My advice is to buy it just before you need it. If Apple releases a new one within your return window, you could return it for a new model. Whether it's ethical will be up to you.

7. leman macrumors G3

Two extra cores are barely "small upgrades", but true, for an average user it won't change much.

8. dvir971 thread starter macrumors regular

dvir971

Yeah I meant these small upgrades,
    It’s just became a precaution from me ever since Apple surprisingly announced the iPad Air 2 roughly 6 months after the first model (and 2 weeks after I bought mine) I don’t tend to buy an Apple product more than ~7 months after its launch so I won’t get bummed 2 weeks later

9. Closingracer macrumors 68040

The air 2 was a full year. Do you mean the iPad 3?” And 4 ? . I would get a 2017 on sale even if they announce a 2018 . Not worth the money to get a minor update. Maybe if you’re a heavy editor where a rumored quad core in the 13 matter but tbh you’ll be fine with a 2017.