chances new mbp's come before new mp's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DarthTreydor, Nov 10, 2007.

1. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

hi, i'm wondering what people think the likelihood of a macbook pro update coming before new mac pros come out. the reason i'm asking is because i want to my 15" 2.4 Ghz MBP in order to buy a mac pro.

the reason i want to switch to a desktop system is because my MBP almost never leaves my desk anyway and the thought of quad (or octo) core workstation with more customization options has me salivating. i'm also going to be attending a school next year that requires you buy a new MBP from them and i certainly don't need 2 laptops.

so anyway, i'm waiting for new mac pros to come out before i sell my laptop because i don't want to be without a computer indefinitely but i don't want new MBPs to be released before then, thus devaluing the one i have now.

so what do you think i should do?

2. G4DP macrumors 65816

Hopefully there is more chance of being struck by lightening than the MBP being updated before the MP. Although having said that, the way Apple Inc has been updating it's products who knows what will happen.

Some of us thought that the chance of the MB getting an update before the MP was not going to happen, look how qrong we turned out to be.

3. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I would put the chances at 0.0001%...and that's being generous. The only logical way to asses possible updates is to look at available new technology they can update the products with. The MBP is top of the line and at this moment in time there is nothing they can put inside it that would update it...until the new Penryn chips come out in January--that is why there is so much speculation it will be done then. Otherwise they just added a couple of new optional features (the bump to 2.6, bigger HDs) so there won't be anything else until next year. Also...assuming they are coming out with new ones in January, you would think they would want to empty out the stock of current MBPs over the holiday season before coming out with new ones.

So basically the updated Mac Pro is definitely coming out before the updated Macbook Pro.

4. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. That makes me feel a little better. God, I hope they come this tuesday.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Let's see, small to none. Considering some people who just ordered the updated 2.6Ghz MBP -- haven't got them yet.

Just updated with a 2-3 week lead time. :D

Edit: So you have at least 4 weeks before apple updates the MBP -- just so they don't put ALL the new 2.6GHz machines within the 14 day reprice period.