Chances of 2016 iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by marty1980, Jun 25, 2016.

1. marty1980 macrumors 6502

It seems the once-great iPod is slowly dying as people now tend to keep old phones and use current phones for music.

Apple doesn't acknowledge it unless it needs to. And the hardware quickly falls behind.

How big is the market for an upgraded iPod Touch?

How big could the market be for a new IPod Touch Pro!?

What are the chances a new iPod device will be announced in 2016?

Will it be a redesign?
    What's the price range?
    What are the storage option?
    ??????? Curious what the community thinks

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

It seems that there won't be an iPod Touch this year, but there might be next year or the year after. It does feel like Apple doesn't give a damn anymore about the iPod lineup and just wants to abandon it. We haven't had any new iPods (except the iPT) since 2012, so it's likely they're not interested in that. And my guess is that it's going to be a small redesign, probably some new colours and a faster processor, but that's about it.

3. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I've been wondering this myself recently. I bought the 6th gen day one after waiting for years, but if they released another iPod touch this year (or next spring perhaps?) with the newer A chips in them, and a better camera with Live Photos support, I'd probably upgrade again. Live Photos is something I really want in my device now. :p

4. Appleaker macrumors 68000

It is almost guaranteed not to happen as Apple don't have the time, especially with the many significant product refreshes/introductions this year and leading into next year. It is possible that the 6th gen was the last one but I think there may be another generation possibly in 2017/2018. If they remove the iPod lineup in the future I think the iPod touch should be re-branded as the 'iPad nano' and redesigned or something, which would also reintroduce excitement to the product which has been dying due to low publicity and the decreasing market. I really like the iPod touch but it is not taken seriously and disregarded by a lot of people, especially reviewers that always get the latest iPhone and think the iPod touch is redundant which I find annoying.

5. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

There's nothing to suggest that Apple won't do anything other than update the iPod touch on a strictly as-needed basis (such as the 6th Gen update when the A5 in the 5th Gen had finally caused them to withhold so much of what was new in iOS) until they finally lose interest and cull the line altogether. The iPod touch certainly doesn't have the attention it did back in 2009 or 2010. Though frankly, as far as iOS devices go, I'd be much more worried about the iPad mini than I would about the iPod touch, especially given that the iPod touch beat it to the A8 party (which is saying something because the iPod touch was still late to that party).

6. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

I had to take my daughters 4 month old iPod 6G in to the Apple Store as it wouldn't charge. It was determined it needed to be replaced but there weren't any warranty replacement iPods in the city (pop. 1.2 million). After waiting three days for delivery I was told the replacement iPod was waiting for me at the Apple Store so I went with my daughter to pick it up. I figured this would be a good time to let her chose a new case for her replacement iPod but I was told the Apple Store doesn't carry any cases for the latest iPod.

Clearly Apple couldn't care less about the iPod Touch.

7. chasonstone macrumors regular

chasonstone

I doubt we see a new iPod touch anytime soon. To be honest I think it's on it's way out. They may update it again but I doubt they put forth the effort they have in the past to keep it alive.

I could see them ditching the entire iPod lineup in a few years. They could add a 5.5 or 4.7 inch "iPad nano" to satisfy some of the need for a non-phone device for kids. Or just for the other holdouts. I could see them going that route rather than keeping an iPod lineup tbh. But I don't really know of course.

8. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

Highly doubtful of a release within the next year- the current one took 3 years to be released. Haven't read/seen much of a demand for them, what with iPhones always being better

9. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I use my iPod Touch daily for videos and audiobooks because I don't like to run down my iPhone battery unnecessarily. I hope Apple doesn't abandon the line completely.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Why bother having an iPhone then? Why not just have an iPod Touch and a "dumbphone" or a much less expensive budget smartphone?

11. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Because the iPhone integrates so well with the rest of my Apple ecosystem, which I have both at work and home. I don't have to worry about cross-platform solutions like I did when I had a Samsung.

This combination of devices works well for me.

12. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Its been so long and apple has made users accustoms to be able to charge their devices regularly and anywhere.

Don't think they would put Ipod touch positioned to those who doesn't want to run down their Phone batteries. I can even replace Ipod touch with an old Android for morning toilet news catch up and Facebook. There is just no space for Multimedia players anymore.

13. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

I think the iPod touch is done. Now that iPhones are available with 64GB, 128GB (and I'm betting on 256GB later this year) there doesn't seem to be much market for them. People use their iPhone, or buy a used iPhone and use it instead.

I do think the iPod Nano and Shuffle will stick around a while yet. If the lightning headphones and dropping the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone really happen this year then I'm betting we see a new Nano and Shuffle with lightning ports and dropping the 3.5mm jack soon after. Either later this year or early next year. Hopefully with storage increases as well.

14. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Nope if anything is going to stick around it'll be the touch. it is still significantly cheaper for the storage options, even compared to the SE. They don't appear to be redesigning iPods anytime soon and there would be absolutely no reason to drop the jack - it's an iPod. The nano is already just above 5mm thin and still has a jack.

15. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

The iPod touch is Apple's drug to get kids into the ecosystem...with more of the Douchingtons buying their 10 year old kids iPhone 6S+'s....I think the iPod will be killed off sooner or later, but the younger demographics keep it alive. I doubt you will see anything in 2016 just based on the past. 2018 will probably be the next release. If only they would give it a GPS...even the Samsung Galaxy Player had a GPS.

16. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

The iPod Touch was the gateway drug. I believe it has been replaced by hand me down/used iPhones. Why buy your kid a $300 or more iPod touch, when you could just give him your old iPhone now that you upgraded? It's not like they upgrade the iPod Touch every year, or put in the newest/fastest chips when they do, so chances are your hand me down iPhone will be as good or better than the newest iPod Touch.

Why spend $650 on a 16GB iPhone and $300 on a 64GB iPod touch ($950 total), when you could just spend $750 on a 64GB iPhone, or $850 for 128 GB?

Now for people that don't want to watch videos/use apps/play games etc the Nano and Shuffle still make sense. So keeping them around makes sense. I just bought a new Shuffle a couple weeks ago to use while mowing the lawn etc. because I don't want to have my iPhone on me when doing that and take the chance of it getting ruined. It was annoying that the shuffle is way overpriced for what you get now. Most other 2GB MP3 players are around $20-30 and most $50 MP3 players are 8GB or more. I went ahead and bought the Shuffle anyway because I had a $20 Best Buy rewards card that was about to expire so I was only really paying $30 for it. It was worth that to stay withing the Apple/iTunes system.

I would love to see a new 16GB Shuffle for $50 with lightning port so they can ditch the goofy USB to 3.5mm cord. Ship it with the same lightning EarPods from the iPhone 7 and ditch the 3.5mm port altogether.

Same thing with the Nano. Update it to 64GB for $150, ditch the 3.5mm port and include the lightning EarPods.

New iPads should also drop the 3.5mm jack, and I'd like to see all new portable devices ship with lightning to USB-C cables and a new USB-C power adaptor. I think all this will happen eventually, but maybe not all in the next 6 months.

17. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Some children want the touch over an iPhone but I agree that it is a declining market. The nano is the one that makes no sense at a price point so close to the touch and the difference in functionality. I think those upgrades are a good idea except for the changing of ports. It doesn't look likely at all (unless they want a major change to lightning headphones) as Apple themselves aren't sold on lightning headphones as the replacement to 3.5mm. Given the income from iPods they won't change it unless they feel they need to for consistency. iPads will likely drop it as well and the USB C thing will happen within the next year is my guess probably starting with the next pros and moving to the 2017 iPhone after.

18. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

At this point, I don't know if they're humoring us, or they really did wanted to release another generation of them (the IpT6).

Probably not that big. As mentioned, hand me down Iph's appear to dominate. Otherwise, folks just buy used Iph's b/c they want a phone anyways.

Reasons I've heard to keep the IpT going include:
    --cheap entry for kids.
    --cheaper to replace
    Even if kids get a hand-me-down Iph... if that breaks, then getting an IpT may be cheaper and/or reliable than finding another used Iph.
    --developers use them as test devices
    Even if getting a used Iph5, Iph5s, or IphSE can be had on the cheaper side. The Iph4s is a 3.5" screen, so not a good candidate

--cheap entry into iOS
    Ipod Classics and Ipod Nanos don't do iOS.
    --folks find IpT to be a better media/radio/ebook reader despite dedicated devices doing this better
    Me... I prefer an Ipod Classic with scroll wheel. Tactic feedback + 80 GB storage.
    --corporate use
    They need an iOS device, but getting 5 to 500 Iphones would be too expensive. They may also prefer getting new vs. used/refurbs

Apparently, not very, as I was hoping the IpT6 would have a 4.7" or 5.5" screen. That's the reason I didn't upgrade to it. I've been using iOS since IpT3, and every upgrade since then was for the screen. It wasn't true this time. :(

Not likely. I thought it was 4 years since the last IpT, but 3 sounds about right. AFAIK, Apple has far bigger fish to fry. Even if something doesn't take much effort, it can still be nontrivial.

OTOH, Apple has said if something is going to sabotage sales, they'd rather be the ones to do it. However, I don't really know what's competing with IpT these days, assuming there's still interest in them.

If an IpT7 were to come out, I'd reckon it'd be similar to the IpT6, but with all the same improvements... bump in processor. Perhaps not with RAM, nor storage, unless 256 GB will be a thing.