Chances of a minor iMac update in January?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by psychoegg, Dec 30, 2009.

  1. psychoegg macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2009
    I'm on the verge of ordering a 27" core i7 iMac but was wondering if anyone has any indication whether we can expect a minor update in January.

    I know that Apple has given models a slight speed bump in the past, and I know that there is a faster i7 chip out there that could potentially be thrown into the iMac, but what do people think the chances are that that happens soon?

    Also, does anyone think that there could be a second video card update for the 27" iMac as well.

    I just wanted to get some thoughts on the topic before I commit and push the order button. Thanks.
  2. wesleyh macrumors 6502

    Mar 23, 2007
    I'd imagine many people would be pissed as they have had to exchange their imacs multiple times and haven't had the time to enjoy it yet only to find that 3 months after it's introduction it's already an obsolete model. I don't think they'll make a new model just yet.
  3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

    Roy Hobbs

    Apr 29, 2005
    Even if there was a minor update (which there won't be) it wouldn't make the current models obsolete.
  4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

    Jan 28, 2009
    I would say of all the products that Apple have released the iMac would far and away be the least likely to receive an update. They were only updated around 2 1/2 months ago. Normal cycle is around 6 months.
  5. psychoegg thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2009
    I figured that due to the issues that some 27" are having that they might be making some modifications to the hardware. Not really a 1.1 update... more like a 1.0.5 update. Also, given that it has been/will be about 3 months, I wasn't too sure if chip prices or graphics card options might be added as an additional BTO option. I thought that this happened roughly around the same time for the previous iMac. I could be mistaken though...
  6. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Jun 20, 2007
    The iMac will not get an update in January. Too soon.
  7. psychoegg thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2009
    Thank you for the input. I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a nice Core i7 machine. Apple says that I'll be getting it around the 20th of January (with shipping to Canada). Hopefully my machine won't have the issues that I'm hearing about. Although, I did get Applecare (as I always do) so that should help out if there is a problem.

    I can't wait!!!:D
  8. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

    Oct 26, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, Apple are going to be announcing some new stuff in January, but that's all mobile stuff.
    I really doubt that Apple will add anything else to this machine, until the next refresh.

    It just wouldn't make sense to, since they still haven't really figured out how to get rid of the yellow tinge problem, and they don't even really know what's causing it.
    So, I don't think they'll be adding anything new until they at least fix the problems that the iMac seem to be having right now.
  9. grayskyz macrumors regular


    Nov 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    A minor update like it's screen won't be yellow? Okay, bad joke I'm just tired of waiting to buy mine after selling my Mac Pro.
  10. psychoegg thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2009
    I'm currently using a dual core 2 ghz G5 PowerMac with 4gigs of ram. I have a feeling that the iMac with a Core i7 2.8 and 8 gigs of ram will be a welcomed update. Anyone have any idea as to the speed increase that I could expect? General and using applications like Photoshop, Final Cut Express and FormZ?

    I'm sure I'll be happy with the results when I get it but the 20th seems like a long time and i'm like a kid on christmas at the moment. LOL
  11. Buzz Bumble Guest

    Oct 19, 2008
    New Zealand
    It'll take longer to be delivered at this time of year because most people are on holiday.

    AppleCare is basically an extended warranty. Any of the reported "issues" would have been covered in the normal warranty anyway.

Share This Page