Chances of a new ipod touch this september?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by harveyftw, Jul 31, 2012.

1. harveyftw macrumors newbie

i have seen lots of parts leaked about the new ipod. but im wondering if theres any chance of it even coming out this fall. what do you guys think?? should i wait or just buy an ipod touch 4th??

im currently running an ipod touch 2g 4.2.1 jailbroken.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm also wondering. It's starting to look like they abandoned the touch in favor of the iPad Mini. I was hoping for an iPod Touch with the same bigger screen as the next iPhone, a faster processor, and more RAM. I would never consider the iPad Mini since I need something I can comfortably carry in my pocket.

In any case, you might as well wait till September since it's almost here.

3. djharris macrumors member

I agree, I'd wait and see.

4. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

I'd say 99% chance of touch this sept for 3 reasons

1. they'll dump the classic before the touch.

2. apple has never dropped a product that helps it dominate market share

3. its smarter from a financial point of view to keep the touch on a 2 year product refresh cycle.

case in point

iPod Touch 2 & 3 share same design only better soc for 3

ipod Touch 2010 & 11 share same design only white color came out in 11

if I'm right 2012 & 13 will be the same as well

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The problem is the new iPad mini. It should sell under $200.00 and the iPod Touch will still be considerably more expensive. Apple is probably concerned that touch sales will suffer when the iPad Mini is released. Because of the iPhone and the iPad Mini, Apple may decide to phase out the touch.

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

What you and others seem to ignore is that steady-state maintanence is different than discontinuing. Apple doesn't need to kill the Touch, they can simply keep producing the current model.

7. Panther71 macrumors regular

I am with you on wanting a product that I can carry in my pocket. I don't have an iPhone so I like to have wi-fi access with me in the form of the iPod. An iPad Mini just wouldn't be portable enough for me. I also like the 64GB of storage on my iPod, as well.

8. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

A new iPod Touch will be announced Sept 12th. Apple is not saying what they will call it. It will have a 4 inch screen and some other enhancements yet to be publicly identified. That said, the iPad mini will not replace the iPod Touch. They are each very different instruments - one is portable and pocketable - the other is not. Guess which one?

9. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

wow blatantly wrong on 2 parts.

1 the iPad mini's main competition will be the Kindle fire & nexus 7 which are literally eating apple's lunch right now.

2 the touch is a purely mobile device and one can fit into a pocket. the iPad mini, if rumors are true about screen size being 7.85 in, will be about 8.75 in in width alone add to it, that apple will have little choice but to strip it down a bit to hit the 199 price point

10. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

Apples not in the business of staying stagnant, they ALWAYS take a device as far as they can.

the classic reached as far as it could with a scroll wheel, small screen and moving parts hard drive could.

BTW , by your logic, apple could keep the iPhone at its current size and specs

11. Rehana1985 macrumors newbie

Might Come out

As per recent report of howtoblogz it seems they are pretty sure that apple might announce iPod Touch 5th Generation this September.

12. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Yeah... and I can't see myself bringin' an iPad-mini to the gym or on a mountain bike ride ;)

13. 617aircav Suspended

Why would apple sell the iPad mini at a loss? The touch will not be phased out because of a tablet. There is enough room for all these products. And, there's no iPad mini.

14. harveyftw thread starter macrumors newbie

i suppose. people cant carry a mini ipad around its just way too big.

15. Spiterwolf macrumors member

Spiterwolf

Of corse Apple will come out with the next itouch. If they don't, they will have a bunch of angry people with pitchforks and torches at their doorstep within days of Sept. 12.

I'm not sure if they're going to come out with an iPad-mini though. It would either be a pain for developers to come out with apps for 3 different screen sizes instead of just 2, or it would be a very toned down version in order to get it into a decent price range (think of a netbook compared to a laptop). Then again, Apple has done some pretty amazing things before, who knows what they might be able to accomplish with the iPad-mini?

Another thing apple might do is start calling the itouch the iPad mini, again, who knows what apples doing. :cool:

16. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

They make the iPad mini screen the same resolution as the iPad two. Problem solved!

17. kaydot macrumors regular

Personally, I think the iPad Mini + Retina will be $299 and not $200, and come with base 16gigs.

My guesses:
    iPad mini 16g - $299
    iPad mini 32g - $399

iPod touch 16g - $199
    iPod touch 32g - $299
    iPod touch 64g - $399

Miraculously, if the iPad Mini comes in at $299, it fits quite nicely in their product lineup... and they still don't have to provide an 128g iPod Touch even though I want storage space more than anything.