chances of another usb port ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anonymous4a, Oct 28, 2016.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

I just realized that the new, non touch bar macbook pro 13 inch only comes with 2 USB-c ports. If the macbook pro 13inch only comes with 2 usb ports, what are the chances of the next gen Macbook getting another USB port ? Will they ever add another USB port to the macbook ?

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Probably not. Unless they actually listen to their customers.

3. Unrealmac1988 macrumors member

as I wrote in my thread:

If you ever want 2 or more USB-C ports: get a MB Pro.

With a second usb-c port and kaby lake the MB could have become the new MB Air for customers but Apple wants the extra money.. I lost all my hopes for a second port and that's the main reason I will get a MB Pro on monday.

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Just don't forget that the high end model of the 15" is the one with all 4 at full power. I read on the frontpage the other one has only full bandwidth on the two left ones.

5. fob macrumors member

fob

Most likely not. 2 usbc ports on the cheaper 13 pro was to skim cost because thats the max num of tb3 connections a single controller can handle. I was hoping for the next mb revision to have another usb-c replacing the headphone jack but that would mean the need for an extra controller on the other side since mb clearly only have enough space for one port on each side. kaby lake mb refresh will most definitely add tb3 but only to existing port, and maybe p3 color gamut and the new butterfly keyboard. If apple wont even put a second controller in lower end 13 pro than chances are they wont do it for the mb. This company is run by bean counter now.

6. Unrealmac1988 macrumors member

Could not have said it better!

To give a short insight why the rMB now dies for me:

1. with only one usb-c port you will NEVER get away from the dongles when using it with an external display. Maybe one day displays will come with usb-c connection by default but even then it's not clear if they will also charge the rMB --> need for a dongle even though you have a cool new monitor

2. I am a poor student and my next mac needs to last for about 4-5 years. The rMB already has sometimes performance issues when running office+chrome --> the rMB is not future proof for me

I am so in love with the thin and lightness of the rMB but it's nonsense if the machine won't last very long for me.

Maybe those two points help someone with their decision.. :)

7. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

what problems running office & chrome? none here. and so you need a dongle, since you're at a desk (or whatever) when using an external monitor, what's the problem? if you have room for a large monitor, surely the dongle can fit in your workspace as well...