Chances of Apple Selling Unlocked iPhone When SDK Released?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zainjetha, Feb 2, 2008.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hi guys

do u guys think that when apple release iphone sdk they may agree to sell an unlocked iphone at a higher price? or at least they might agree to unlock the phone at the end of a contract or offer iphone on a prepaid tarrif?

if you think about it logically, apple are freeing the iphone with SDK allowing people to make software for it and the only restriction to the iphone would be its simlock..

are germany t-mobile still agreeing to unlock iphone at end of contract? i think thats a step forward at least. the next step will be at&t and o2 agreeing the same and then progress will be made upon that.

what do you think?

2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

No. Don't see it.

But if developers need something to test their apps on - they just have to pick up an iPod Touch.

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I doubt we'll see it since Apple gets a share of the monthly sub price (through at&t at least) but I would think that a software emulator would be released/included with the SDK.

4. sys0p macrumors member

5. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Not likely,.. sorry.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The iPhone has an exclusive 5 year contract with AT&T.

7. Ramchi macrumors 6502

Ramchi

I think Apple wants to play more as a pseudo operator than dedicated mobile phone maker! It wants to make money not only by selling iPhones but also throug controling Internet access, using its music and video services and other services which lies on top of the network infrastructure.

SDK is another way to eat money probably in the form of distribution rights! Apple will not allow the open world to manipulate its products and services. Even Nokia is contemplating such options of sharing revenues in areas like broadband internet browsing & Mobile TVs.

8. paduck macrumors 6502

Although Apple has a financial incentive to keep you with the official carriers, I don't think that they are that hard-over about unlocked phones. If they were, they would be a lot more aggressive about shutting down the whole jailbreak situation.

However, I don't think they will sell you an unlocked iPhone. The reason is simple - they have a contract with AT&T that makes AT&T the exclusive supplier of iPhone cellular service in the US. Likewise with other carriers overseas. I am sure that the carriers have written into the contracts that Apple cannot sell iPhones that are unlocked in the exclusive marketing area of AT&T.

But how long is that exclusive contract? Only a few years. By the time you are on 3rd Generation iPhone, it will be opened up and there will be a surge of sales for Apple. If they manage it right, they can cut the dollar amount of revenue sharing with AT&T, cut similar deals with other carriers, and sell more units - but still with the subscription-based income (albeit smaller per unit).

Apple has always had trouble dealing with large quantity/cheaper price v. small quantity/high price. They like their margins. I wonder if they will adapt with the cellular market?

9. AMoeini macrumors member

AMoeini

..and now i feel stupid. sorry, just don't listen to me.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Funniest thing I've read today. Thanks.

11. iStefmac macrumors regular

Funny wasn't the word I would choose. Other words come to mind that are slightly more accurate.

Lets stop this BS debate here and now.

If you want legitimacy, iPhone = AT&T here in the U.S. For a minimum of 5 years. While I dislike this fact, I approve because it will maintain consistency in the product for several years. Apple will be able to truly establish the iPhones potential by using/testing on a consistent network.

Of course, no one on this site has ever considered the immense disaster and frustration that would occur if Apple released new firmware/updates of some kind, and AT&T iPhone customers were able to use it, but Verizon iPhone customers (ie:) couldn't due to a "Verizon issue."

They would quickly become different products entirely.