Chances of buying one on Friday (O2) ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mark Morb, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Mark Morb macrumors regular

Mark Morb

Hi,

I was going to order a 16GB one for delivery on Friday but they will not deliver to my work address..what do you think the chances are of walking in off the street on Friday and buying one?

Cheers

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

8GB, sure thing :)

16GB, erm ... O2 are saying, 'we'll have to see' right now. :rolleyes:

This is based on the 6 stores I've rang today, local to me, when asked about the 8GB,
    it was a definite answer. Availability of the 16GB model is still in limbo, apparently.

R-Fly

3. Badgerguy macrumors member

I rang four stores in Birmingham - all repeated the same thing: 8.02AM opening time, good availability of both models.

--
    BG

4. Mark Morb thread starter macrumors regular

Mark Morb

Guess I'll just try it and see, I would want the 16GB model...fingers crossed :)

5. badgerman macrumors 6502a

If the online O2/CPW had 16GB allocation surely a O2/CPW in the NorthWest should have one on the 11th?

6. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Where is the list of what stores are open from cpw and o2?

I would like to know for my area what time everywhere is open on Friday.

I am concerned about a lack of 16GB models - but really its impossible to know until the day.

Everyone thought the original iPhone would sell out and there were lots of them left! I know this version is cheaper but realistically how many people are going to be queuing at 9am or earlier?

20 or 30 maybe in a busy area? but I am sure that lots of the purchases online today only happened because they were very convenient and most of those people will be in no rush to get down in the morning if they didn't buy online today!

7. sjw macrumors regular

I think O2 are milking the hell out of this - anything for publicity. It wouldn't surprise me if this morning's little pre-ordering "debacle" was orchestrated entirely for this reason.

I don't think there will be any problem getting 8gb/16gb come Friday! Just be sensible, be there at opening and you should be a happy chappy.

8. twonga macrumors member

im in the same boat! dont know whether to bother going at 7am to queue up, ( i was intending to go at lunchime)

does anyone know roughly how many units o2 shops got last yeaR on launch day?

9. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

My store here in Widnes expects to recieve around 200 this year,
    due to, apparently, receiving 200, last year.

The sales rep informed me, that he expects 40% of this stock to be 16GB.

I was still advised to reach the store 'as early as I could' though,
    as to not be disappointed.

R-Fly

10. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Honestly, the only thing that can be guaranteed at the moment is that O2 will give you a completely different answer every time you speak to them.

Phazer

11. Project macrumors 68020

I have no doubt you will be able to get an iPhone on Friday. The issue is the length of time it is going to take to process all the customers. Its bad enough when there is just two or three people in front of you signing up for a contract at a mobile store. Now imagine 20 to 100.

12. alFR macrumors 68020

I think there are enough O2/CPW stores around that the people wanting a phone will be spread pretty thin - big lines are unlikely IMHO, just like last time - there were only big lines at the Apple stores then IIRC. Also we have the looming recession etc. at the moment which might put some people off spending £160 on a new phone.

I'll have a wander down on Saturday I reckon, have a look at the new ones and see if I can upgrade to a 16G in my local O2 store - if not I'll order one online when I can.