Chances of continuity being enabled on older macs?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Alon1, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Alon1 macrumors member

I have a mid 2011 MBA and can't figure out why continuity wouldn't be available to me. My macbook runs as well as the day I got it and I just got it overhauled using my Apple Care+ (brand new screen+battery+SSD), so I'm planning on keeping it at least until the next major redesign. I guess I could always do the wifi ac switch, but I'll be disappointed if I have to resort to that.

How do you guys feel about the chances of continuity being enabled on older macs?

2. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I would guess 0%.

Apple wants your money. They will add features to the "free" OS upgrade that do not "work" on your machine. The purpose is for you to "upgrade" in order to use the "Free" features in the new "free" upgrade.

I plan to upgrade in order to get the new black boot screen! (Since my 2011 eMBP is cleary not capable of booting with a black screen!)

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I agree with the previous poster. The chances are zero.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe the problem is continuity requires Bluetooth LE, and those older machines don't have it.

5. Alon1 thread starter macrumors member

My MBA does support bluetooth LE and even if it didn't, I'm sure Apple could make it work if they want to. The technology released in mid 2011 was plenty capable. If it puts a drain on the battery - let the users choose if it's worth it for them or not. A lot of people have iMacs or use their laptops with the power adaptor always connected, so for them it's a non-issue. Anyway, I believe I read that it has more to do with the wifi ac than the bluetooth LE, which should be even less of an issue.

Attached Files:

• BTLE.png
      BTLE.png
      File size:
      146.7 KB
      Views:
  6. SP Jon M3 macrumors newbie

Handoff should be working on your laptop. Apparently the key is that you have the LVM Version 0x6. This is the main ingredient for handoff. Check this post.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1757410&highlight=handoff+late+2009

7. rritterson macrumors 6502

8. airlied macrumors regular

airlied

I think the point is, if your laptop or desktop doesn't support Bluetooth lE, handoff will drain iphone's battery even your iPhone support LE. That's why Apple don't want to do that.

9. Alon1 thread starter macrumors member

Wow thanks! Should I wait for the final version of Yosemite before I do it or is it going to carry over to it?

----------

Ok I understand... I still don't understand why my 2011 MBA doesn't support continuity, as it does support LE.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

My Mac mini has BTLE and 0x6. Yet no handoff.

Apple is holding back features to sell slower, downgraded, gpu-less new Macs.

----------

Thank you! Thank you!!!

Been looking for this, tried to make the mac pro hack work, but failed.