Chances of damaging screw threads?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GWA123, Apr 1, 2011.

1. GWA123 macrumors newbie

The screw in the logic board corner of the bottom plate (one of the long screws) seems to have a bit more tension than the other screws.

What are the chances that I have damaged the internal threads (in the receptor hole)? Obviously, this type of screw only goes in one direction (straight down). 6 of the screws along the front and sides go in at an angle...

Can subsequent removal of the bottom case cause the internal threads in the receptor hole to fail to the point where the screw will no longer "bite"?

How can I test to make sure this is not occurring?

I recently upgraded my ram and I had to remove and replace my bottom case a few times to get it perfectly aligned (and to stop the notorious metallic creaking noise). I was able to fix it, but I am just worried about my screw receptacle's threads.

2. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

And I thought I had severe OCD. I had to laugh, I just removed the bottom to replace the ram in my new MBP and I've been flipping out ever since about the screws and screw heads. First of all, there's almost no way to remove them and retighten without deforming the screw head a little. 00 is a little small and 000 is a little big. Secondly, how tight is too tight? Lastly, getting everything to line up correctly and getting the screws that go in a angle to go back in correctly. Mine seems to be fine but there's always that lingering doubt. Nobody but apple sells the screws currently for the new unibody. I think next time I'll just pay the extra $ and take to Genius.

3. brentsg macrumors 68030

And the Genius will **** up your screws instead.

Seriously, people on this site have no idea what OCD really is. You may be anal, but real OCD is a different animal. OCPD.. maybe..

4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

To answer your question, I highly doubt you've damaged the threads. Those long ones would be very difficult to cross thread. You'd know if you did, it'd go at somewhat of an angle and be very difficult if not impossible to tighten.

5. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I stand corrected, OCPD it is.

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

From recommendations from a couple of other members I ordered some Wiha screwdrivers from amazon. They're really precise! No stripping the screw threads for me.. especially since I seem to always be removing the back cover.

7. GWA123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you are getting confused with screw threads and screw heads.

The screw head is what the screwdriver interfaces with. However, the screw threads are what the interfaces with the receptacle hole in the unibody...

I'm am not worried about damaging the screws (even though I was careful and the screws still look "healthy"), I am worried about damaging the actual unibody screw holes... Replacing a 5 cent screw is one thing, but replacing an expensive unibody because I accidentally cross threaded the screws is another.

The screw easily screws in and clearly descends without much effort. It does get tight towards the very last bit.

Yea I'm OCD xD

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Oh yeah, I meant the screw head part lol. Okay disregard then.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Even if you cross threaded it - you can just get a tap and clean the hole. It you REALLY F it up, you can tap out the hole a size larger, and insert a helicoil.

I doubt you would have to scrap the chassis unless you were on a mission to...