Chances of free/reduced cost Apple screen replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrGimper, Jul 27, 2016.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Hi

I just purchased a 5s from an extended family member, and it has a cracked screen. I've checked to see if it still under warranty and the Apple site confirms it is until April 2017.

Obviously this warranty doesn't cover the screen replacement, but to keep the warranty I'd need an authorised screen replacement. I'd prefer this anyway as opposed to some dodgy cheap replacement.

Question is... I have over 10K of Apple kit all covered by Extended AppleCare or AppleCare +. What's the chances of me being able to "sweet-talk" Apple into doing it for cheaper, or even free, based on the other investments I've made with them?

Anyone ever tried used this kind of bargaining chip?

Cheers.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Every interaction with the Apple Store is different based on numerous factors, and users have had a variety of results.
    Your best bet is to be honest, courteous and gracious with the store representatives.
    Your 10k of Apple kit will have no bearing IMO.

3. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Thanks. To be clear I wasn't going to go in all guns blazing sounding like I have a right to free stuff as I've invested a lot in other kit. More like, "look guys, any chance of a favour...."

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry, I didn't think you were implying that, just offering my 2¢
    I've just seen the best results coming from those who were most sincere and appreciative

5. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

That's cool, it was more a clarification as when I read back my OP it could have seemed like that :)

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just be nice to the Geek and level with them and you may be surprised.

Telling them about you $10k in hardware is going to sway most.