Chances of FUTURE upgradability for the rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evev12, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

So, I just ordered a rMBP...my primary reason being it's viewing angle. I know it may sound strange but as an artist that relies on accurate color accuracy, and not having my own proper pro level workstation just yet, my biggest petpeeve with monitors in general has been the color shifting while moving your head/the screen (even an inch). I find it beyond usefull that this monitor maintains its contrast and colors when shifting - that was actually more important than the resolution...sorry, I'm losing focus. The question I had for you guys is...what do you think the chances are that despite Apple's claims, and knowing how the comp is assembled with the soddered RAM, etc...within time, technicians will figure out a way to upgrade it? I'm definitely moving forward with my purchase regardless, so it's not a huge deal, but I am curious. I think that...if in fact these are the next gen systems and we see the whole Pro line take follow suit of the rMBP, I'd have to imagine that within a year or 2 these actually WILL be upgradable. Whether or not it can be done safely is probably another question completely but if there's money to be made, I'm sure someone will figure out how. Especially with the demand that is going to be created for such a service within the next few years. What do you think?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Technicians have already found out how to upgrade the ram. Unsolder the old and put new chips in place. Of course 16GB is the maximum due to the number of places for ram chips and their current size limitations. The overall cost is rather high. With a high chance of damaging the logicboard.

3. leman macrumors 604

Well, all we need are new standards for very small RAM and SSD modules, this way future products could be upgradeable. Upgrading SSD is possible even now, you only need to manufacture it with the Apple connector (which would be extremely expensive). Updating RAM does not make much sense, because a) the chance to fry the machine is relatively high, b) it would be prohibitively expensive and c) by the time you need an update from the 16GB RAM, it won't help you anymore (as computer technology become be at least 50% faster then now).

Anyway, the only component which I believe should be upgradeable is the SSD. With RAM being as cheap as it is now, it is better to just solder humungous amounts of it onto the board and forget about the issue altogether. The 8GB is more then enough for an average user for years to come, and 16GB is enough to run multiple virtual machines in parallel without breaking the sweat.

4. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

The Apple SSD connector on the SSD side is not expensive, the SSD side is just a bunch of traces on a PCB. Requires a much lower precision than most surface mount parts do.

I don't see Apple moving to micro memory modules though. There is zero benefit to them to offer upgradeable systems. I think the SSD is still removable because it's prone to wear and may need to be replaced within the 3 years AppleCare warranty.

5. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

I love the r-mbp (concept) put to action, super, but I'd still very much, rather it be with a 17" screen laptop or in their current 13" Airs.

6. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I don't see it happening. They are heading toward maximum integration, smaller mother boards and everything on less chips as possible to reduce manufacturing steps. I love the rMBP but I still want to be able to update my system whenever I feel it necessary. This closed architecture kinda of worries me because it will introduce disposable computers, and I wouldn't have anything against it if the price was under $500 but we're talking about $2000+
    and being forced to buy a new computer few years down the line because the new applications are more demanding and media contents are of higher quality.... mmmh I love Apple but... not sure I would follow the new path... they might loose me along the way, not that they would care :D though....

That's why I bought this last revision of the cMBP...after all is just 1.14 pounds heavier than the Retina so to me it's not a big deal at all and I love the design is basically the same since 2008...

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you want to upgrade CPU or RAM in the future the best thing would probably be to just buy a replacement logic board with the specs you want. That should get less expensive as time goes on.

The SSD is already pretty easy to replace/upgrade, OWC is even selling their own compatible replacement drives.

The battery will be a bit tricky, but since Apple will do it for your for $199 I'm not sure I would bother with trying to do it myself.

8. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

That probably won't work, though. The interfaces for ssd, display etc. may change, as well as the position of screw holes, heatsinks etc. etc. One repositioned cable or chip and you're screwed. And many of these changes happen silently.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I don't mean with a future model. I mean if you bought the 2.3Ghz with 8GB then in the future you could possibly buy a logic board for a 2012 model with the 2.6Ghz and 16GB.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The amount of effort and money spend would mean selling and buying the latest model is the more appropriate choice.

11. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Logic boards don't get cheaper, though, and no one but Apple produces them. And they don't sell them officially, they only give them out for repairs. Even if you managed to talk them into it, you can expect to pay something around 600 to 800 bucks, which should be more expensive than upgrading in the first place. Unless you dare buying one off eBay, with no guarantee that you find one or it even works.