Chances of Getting a Refurb iMac with SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Corrode, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I decided to wait to buy a 2013 iMac when they hit the refurb store but I just realized that I might have a really hard time since I'm looking for a BTO model with 256GB SSD.

Has anyone had any luck in the past with finding an iMac to exactly their BTO specs? I don't (and haven't) seen any iMacs in the past month with an SSD. Just the occasional Fusion Drive.

Thanks in advance.

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

It's obviously less of possibility than getting a standard configuration, but not unheard of. With the countless amount of threads I've seen of people exchanging their 2013 iMacs, I'd say your chances aren't too slim.

3. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Cool, thanks.

4. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

There is also an app that can track the exact refurb configuration you're looking for and alert you when it's in stock.

5. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I just checked the refurb store history of iMacs with flash storage and there's only been one in the last 18 months and it was a 756GB model. Starting to think it might never happen...

6. 2trout macrumors member

why not just buy one with a 'normal' HD then install an SSD yourself.
    The new 'slim' iMac is a bit more involved to open up than the old aluminum style, but taking your time and care, it is not impossible to do.

7. Bear macrumors G3

This tends to void the warranty. And not everyone is mechanically inclined.

The models change all the time, give a chance for the 2013s with SSDs to come through to the refurbished site.

8. 2trout macrumors member

on another note, our refurbished '13 21.5" iMac runs really pretty fast with the OEM 1TB HD, I am actually quite surprised with it, so unless you really really want an SSD, it aint too shabby with the OEM HD!

9. douglas macrumors member

I was looking for the same 256 SSD config in the refurb store with no luck. Can't wait any longer, so just ordered a 2013 27" i7 with 1TB fusion. Apple has a 2 week return policy, so I'll keep watching the refurb store (but not holding my breath).

The performance with Fusion should not be noticeably different. I'll be getting Applecare to cover my concern that the reliability of the Fusion is not a good as a pure SSD.

10. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Chances of Getting a Refurb iMac with SSD?

I'm actually quite mechanically inclined and enjoy tinkering with electronics. I've replaced 3 iPhone 4 screens, modded a guitar pedal, etc.

I just don't feel right about opening up a brand new iMac and voiding the warranty. Something doesn't feel right about it.

11. thedeske macrumors 6502a

For me it was a diminishing return deal with my late 2012. I bought the 512 flash at around a 200-280 premium over cracking an HD model and swapping or adding. Modded a few minis and iMacs, but this time I was being lazy ;)

There are many people on this board who've cracked the taped-on models with success.
    Once you get past the screen, it's about the same as the old days.

12. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

yeah, diminishing returns. Looks like most of the 'refurbs' are the result of returns from dudes trading up. You could go with the HDD and add a TB SSD externally, but it would eat into your savings pretty quickly.

PCIe is the new siren song...