Chances of getting an iPad 2 with 4.3.4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MoodyM, Jul 17, 2011.

  1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

    MoodyM

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #1
    I sent my smashed iPad 2 off to my insurance company (Protect Your Bubble) and they'll receive it guaranteed tomorrow (Mon 18th Jul 11). They've already dealt with the paperwork and have said all that remains is for them to send it to their repair lab and for them to fix it/send me a replacement. The whole front screen is smashed, the dock connector is bent and the Home button doesn't work.

    They did say allow up to 10 days for iOS device repairs.

    My question is, what do you think the chances are of any replacement already being on 4.3.4?

    I'm in the UK by the way.
     
  2. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

    Mars478

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    NYC, NY
    #2
    Probably very slim, unless it's a refurbished unit.

    I do have a question as to why you would want 4.3.4? Is there a specific reason?
     
  3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

    Apple 26.2

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    Location:
    What up, 212?!
  4. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

    lilcosco08

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    Location:
    Dayton
    #4
    I'm guessing the OP wants to jailbreak it. The exploit was patched in 4.3.4
     
  5. sracer macrumors 603

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Land of Bongos and Beatniks
    #5
    The OP is probably NOT wanting the replacement to be loaded with 4.3.4. (jailbreaking related perhaps)
     
  6. Mr.C macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Location:
    London, UK.
    #6
    The thread title is a bit confusing. It would probably have made better sense to put 4.3.3 in the title rather then 4.3.4.
     
  7. fattire357 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    #7
    Related to this, I wonder if it's such a great idea to have jailbreaks tied to PDF exploits.

    I'm sure if this was a non-jailbreakme jb that 4.3.4 would come out later...
     
  8. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MoodyM

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #8

    Its essentially the same question - it doesn't matter which one I actually want on the new iPad, it doesn't change the question.

    FWIW, I am indeed NOT wanting 4.3.4 on the new one
     
  9. taipan61 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Location:
    corner starbucks
    #9
    why don't you just call up the people you sent it too? if it is truly a repair and they keep your original drive then that's what you would receive back, if it's a swap with a refurb then your chances are you get what you get.
    but definitely contact them to check your options
     
  10. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MoodyM

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #10
    I've just had an email, out of the blue, from Apple, with a link to their "Product Replacement Status" page, which lists my iPad 2's serial number and says "Service Requested" with "Diagnosis Pending" and "Product Replacement Pending" greyed out.

    Assuming they replace it and don't fix it, and seeing as it looks like it's coming directly from Apple, whats the chances of getting one still on 4.3.3?
     
  11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

    Kyotoma

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2010
    Location:
    Carnegie and Ontario
    #11
    Pretty high, unfortunately. I got a new iPhone 4 recently and out of the box it was loaded with 4.3.3, so I have a feeling that they update them pretty fast, although your replacement will more likely than not be a refurbished model.
     
  12. Mr.C macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Location:
    London, UK.
    #12
    Which proves my point that your thread title and original post are confusing.
     
  13. bufffilm macrumors 601

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #13
    i didn't find his question confusing at all...i understood it perfectly. he's asking what are his chances of buying a new ipad and finding that it has 4.3.4 on it. IOW, how soon will the new stock ipads come with 4.3.4?

    [some] people are trying to anticipate why he asking instead of just answering the question. and then there are others who just don't read carefully enough and misinterpret what was being asked in their own way.
     
  14. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MoodyM

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #14
    For the life of me I can't understand why it's confusing - the question requires the same answer whether my motive is I want 4.3.4 or 4.3.3; which is "what are the chances a replacement iPad 2 will have 4.3.4 on it".

    Whether I *want* 4.3.4 or not does not change the question...
     
  15. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    #15
    FWIW, I knew immediately from the thread title that the OP was wanting to avoid 4.3.4 for jb purposes.

    Mainly because, why would you care what it came with if you want 4.3.4, since updating yourself would be trivial? You'd only care enough to post about it if you're hoping to avoid it.
     
  16. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MoodyM

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
  17. RossMc macrumors 65816

    RossMc

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    Location:
    Newcastle, UK
    #17
    Off topic but seen as though the topic has been answered.

    Do you recommend Protect Your Bubble for insurance then?
     
  18. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MoodyM

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #18
    Yes and No - the price is certainly quite good, and they did what they're meant to do, i.e. replace a broken gadget, but their customer care is terrible - always 20-40 mins in a queue to get through, regardless of time of call, NEVER respond to emails, took AGES to send me updated docs when I added items to/amended my policy.

    Also I knew from the Apple tracking number that Apple had sent the replacement to Protect Your Bubble on the 21st July, and that they received it on Fri 22nd July at 2:40pm. They didn't send it to me until Tue 26th July, and I suspect that's only cos I called every day - even then, each day they told me it would be posted "that day" only to be told the same thing next day. Eventually on Tuesday the guy said it was with his manager, who would make sure it was sent out that day. So I don't know how long it would have taken if I hadn't pursued it and got it elevated to a manager.

    Also, dunno if this is standard practice or not with insurance companies, but if you pay your premium monthly, when making a claim you have to pay the excess PLUS pay the remainder of the year's policy for the gadget your claiming for up front. For example, my policy covers 3 iPhones & 1 iPad, around £20 a month total. When claiming for the damaged iPad, I had 6 months left on the policy. Therefore I had to pay £50 excess PLUS 6 x £5 a month (i.e. the iPad bit of the £20 is £5).

    Also the new replacement iPad is NOT automatically covered on the existing policy - I need to add it, at another £5 a month. So effectively, for the next 6 months, I've paid/am paying insurance on 2 iPads.
     
  19. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #19
    I am going through this at the moment, and PYB don't actually order or send the replacements (hence they know next to nothing about what's going on).

    They sub contract it out to thefoneclinic (who are quite helpful), my replacement is supposed to be sent out today, although I am told it will be a new unit.
     

Share This Page