Chances of GM and Final Release being different?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by LordQ, Sep 3, 2013.

1. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

So I was wondering, what are the chances of the GM (which is presumably going to be released next Tuesday) being different than the Final version that everyone will be able to download?

I ask because I remember that iOS 5 (or 6?) had two GMs but I want to install the GM before the official release.

Thanks.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is a chance, as always, realistically only if there's something important enough to justify it, which means it's generally a small chance. That's pretty much all there's to it.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just curious...why?:)

4. LordQ thread starter Suspended

LordQ

Because as with iOS 6 and 5, servers will be super overloaded the day of the official release, meaning a lot of iTunes bugs, activation error, etc... Better download it calmly one week earlier... And I can't wait to get my hands on it D:

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question...I know it wasn't really any of my business.:D

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

The GM and final release will never be different because if there's a major bug in the GM, they'll just release a new GM to fix it and THEN they'll release the public version (which will be the 2nd GM).

7. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Yep
    Gold Master is by definition the final version

However even if a serious bug gets caught right before release I'd bet Apple would not release a new final version immediately because reflashing the millions (?) of already-packaged iPhone 5S/5C would be a financial/PR nightmare. they'll just release 7.0.1 2 weeks later and urge people to update

8. kona314 macrumors newbie

By definition, GM is the public release... HOWEVER, back in iOS 4.2, Apple pushed a golden master on November 12, 2010, and then another on the 18th. It is possible we could see that again, albeit unlikely.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

GM will be final 7.0.0 by definition. What they are flashing into the millions of new iPhone's that by reports, have already started shipping.

If there is any further change, it will be a 7.0.x and have an OTA update.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

I don't think 4.2 was loaded onto devices during production so them releasing a new GM seed wasn't an issue. I'm sure they do everything possible to test for and eliminate any major bugs from software that will be loaded onto devices during production so nothing ships with a major bug.

11. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

I'm sure it's been covered but the GM can NOT possibly be different than the public release or else it's not the GM... because they are always one and the same.

(...and in the event there is a last minute bug fix, that doesn't make the above obsolete, it simply means a new GM was created and the prior "GM" ceases to be such.)

12. desh.iit macrumors newbie

desh.iit

Since I was waiting eagerly for iOS 7 for iPhone and iPad I was wondering if non developers(users) will get the GM version on 10th sep 13 via iTune(?). (Basically I purchased iPhone & iPad after viewing the iOS 7 demo/promo I shifted from galaxy s3 and Acer Iconia A501)

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Non-developers get it when it is final and released to the public.

14. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

gm stands for gold master, which means it is the final release, it always is unless the Member's of the Apple Developer Program find something wrong if we get it early, and just to let you know the last time that happened (IOS 4.2 GM Seed) they renamed the GM to 4.2.1 GM Seed.

15. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Isn't it a possibility that iOS 7 will only be available only for iPhones first? Then a later build for iPads. From what I've read it sounds like iOS 7 has a ways to go before it's ready for the iPad.

16. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

the gm build gets released to all devices at the same time. The only question is whether or not us Apple ADC Program Members will get the GM Build early or NOT? I will also note that BOTH Beta 5 and Beta 6 expire no later than October six so if iOS 7 does not come out until the 20th (the date that the IPhone 5S is coming out) the IPad will need to get IOS 7 on that date as well. The IOS 7 GM for BOTH IPhone AND IPad has most likely already been compiled. Last year compiled date was something like 08/11/2012 or 08/12/2012.

----------

My IPad is nice and stable with IOS 7 Beta 6. Tell whoever your friend is who told you that he needs to properly install the Betas through ITunes as a Factory Restore as each new Beta Build comes out, NOT as an Upgrade, and NOT OTA.

17. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

My understanding is that Tom Ford didn't say that quote - it was one of his former bosses, Dawn Mello.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If history is an accurate guide, only devs will get iOS7 GM on Sept 10

Everyone else will get iOS7 offered OTA or via iTunes several days later close to the new iPhone's availability rumored to be Sept 20-22.

There's a chance since large shipments of the 5C have been spotted. That Apple has hardware available the day of or day after the Sept 10 keynote for it. This would be unusual and unexpected. But if so and because of it, there's a slim chance iOS7 might go out as a general availability to everyone on that day or the next to coincide with its release.

19. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Could be possible, but then we won't get a preorder date before the release. I figured they were shipping the 5C earlier due to the fact that they have to satisfy a huge quantity, X amount of a colour, times however many colours there are, plus the ol' China Mobile business that looks quite likely at this point.

They must be expecting huge numbers.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Enough people have documented enough issues in the iPad to demonstrate that more than likely that it's something more than just random install type issues.

21. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

I'm just saying that I have no problems with it. Although it's true that I own an IPad Mini and NOT a Full Size IPad, last year even though the Public Release came out in September, I remember breaking down the Build Date of the .IPSW Update File of the IOS 6.0 GM Seed, and it was Compiled in August 2012! That's why it's most likely the GM Seed is already Compiled. Also the fact that the IPhone 5C has already started getting shipped to Apple seems to indicate that the 7.0 GM Seed has already been Compiled for the IPad.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

It probably is ready, but it doesn't mean it's ready for iPads necessarily. They can release it only for certain devices if they want to. They've done it back when the iPad was just released for a few updates actually. It doesn't seem likely these days, but there is a possibility and it does have a precedent too (even if it's not exactly the same as the current situation).

23. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I've always updated the day the new iOS went live, and never had a problem setting it up and activating.

24. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I remember iOS 4.0 GM had Game Centre.
    But the actual release didnt.

25. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not true. iOS 4GM included Game Center but the actual release did not. Game Center was not added until 4.1 which was released a couple months later. I remember because I had the GM on my 3GS, but when I bought my iPhone 4, I couldn't understand why an icon was missing until I went through them side by side.

Whoops.. above poster beat me.