Chances of MBP price increase on 10/30?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by javisan, Oct 25, 2018.

1. javisan macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

Since it appears that most mac models (except Mac Pro and MBP) will be refreshed next week, what do you think are the chances of Apple taking advantage of the Mac line refresh next week to increase the prices on the MacBook Pros released in July 2018?

I'm afraid that even though the current incarnation of the MBP is controversial, Apple might increase the price to subsidize a potential $999 12" or 13" Mac and use the China tariffs as an excuse. I also expect price increases to the new iPad Pros that will be announced.

I'm asking as I'm planning to buy the MBP next week. I might just buy it Monday night before the Apple store goes down and then cancel on Tuesday after the keynote if needed.

Anyways, I'd love to get everyone's thoughts. Thanks.

2. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

With all the people clamoring that the current 2018 MBP is way too expensive for what you get, I doubt Apple is going to throw gasoline on the fire and make it even more expensive. Besides, the 2018 MBP's are now selling on Apple's refurb website for $200-$300 less than full retail. So snap one up; they're going fast...

3. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Practically unheard of so I'd say very little chance.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Only if they update the machines, which is also highly unlikely.

5. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

I can't recall any instances of Apple hanging pricing on a main device except during updates, and often there only in international markets to balance for currency changes.

6. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

The A1989 number has been registered in Eurasia, which would suggest a MBP update but...why? What? How? I mean, obviously I can come up with things to be updated ;) but it's been three months since the last model came out!

Perhaps the wish of those who would like a 15" without TB is about to come true... but A1989 seems to only apply to 13" TB models. Oh well. We'll find out on Tuesday.

7. Shredder- macrumors regular

The 15" Model number is also registered, however - it seems to be software updates only (ie shipping the devices with macOS Mojave installed) *crossing my fingers for a non-TB 15"* though

8. fokmik macrumors 68040

Zero chances to increase the price without any update to them...this thread i think can be closed
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    those are the exiting models that now are shipping with Mojave

9. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Oh! I didn't think that needed extra registration. Thanks for the explanation!

10. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

You have better chances wining the Powerball jackpot.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why would they increase the price? I'm missing something? If anything, they'll reduce the price (highly unlikely)

12. Lars23 macrumors newbie

Lars23

Maybe they will add the new 8 core i9 processor to the 15” as an option?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thats because the current I9 doesn't run hot enough :p

14. Lars23 macrumors newbie

Lars23

Lol

15. smbu2000 macrumors regular

Maybe referring to the Trump import tariffs on goods from China that started this month?

I think last year Apple increased the price on iPad Pros (10.5/12.9) not too long after their introduction as the price of NAND Flash had increased and they increased the price to compensate.

16. zmon macrumors regular

zmon

I'd give it a 0% chance. Intel refreshed the Coffee Lake mobile CPUs with Whiskey Lake (which is just a slight clock bump anyways) a couple months ago, but they haven't announced any suitable chips for the MBP.

The prices on the 18 MBP's are too high as it is for what you get. There's absolutely no chance there would be a price increase on the MBP.