Chances of ne MBP looking different?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by strat001, Apr 7, 2010.

1. strat001 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Im looking to buy a new MBP, im not really bothered about performance, as trhe current gen can provide me with everything i need. So waiting comes down to looks, what do you guys think?
    Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+1

Minor change is possible but nothing deal breaking

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Chances of apple changing the MBP case - between slim and none, and slim left town.

They basically just came out with the unibody look in 2008 and they have a long history of keeping a design. The prior MBP enclosure dates back to the G4 Powerbook.

No, they invested too much R&D for this look, they're not about to drastically alter it now.

4. strat001 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool. one more thing. are the prices for new releases generally the same as old releases?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, you'll not see too much movement (if any) in the prices.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, sometimes, not very often, they may get a 100$ price drop but that happened with last update so I doubt it. You get more for the same amount of $ with every update though

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its possible the new 13" will have the anti-glare option, but that's about it.

8. mschaef macrumors newbie

I'll be contrary... I'm not expecting much of a change in the style, but I am expecting a switch to 16:9. (Also better wireless connectivity, and newer CPU's.)

9. strat001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. Thinking about it, an anti glare option would be nice, even if slightly unpredicable. Im usually all for getting the best bang for buck.
    Ive decided to set a date, if by then the new mbp's arent out, Im just going to buy one, and ill still have the 2 week refund period anyway.
    EDIT:by better wireless connectivity, what do you mean?

10. King James macrumors member

I also agree that aesthetically it will most likely remain fairly similar for now

11. strat001 thread starter macrumors newbie

and one more thing... does the UK usually get laptop releases the same time as the US?

12. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I agree too, I'd be very surprised if the new ones looked any different than the current ones.

13. recKz macrumors newbie

I agree with it being slightly different so that it can hold a 16:9 screen, this could allow for a better battery life. There's also reports of it being slimmed down a bit (20-40mm).

14. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Yeah I think pretty much, poss less stock/slight delay.

15. wschutz macrumors 6502

16. mschaef macrumors newbie

WiMax or 3G. Something like that.

17. mschaef macrumors newbie

Part of the argument for the 16:9 is that LCD vendors are driving the issue themselves. It's apparently easier to make LCD's that are all of the same aspect ratio, and with TV's going to 16:9, this drives computer displays that way too. (TV's displays are higher margin/revenue, so they win.) Having said that, Lenovo still offers a 16:10 on the T410, so there are clearly a few exceptions left is you have the volume. (The T510 is 16:9.)

Lots of docks on the side in the not to distant future, methinks...

18. tommyboy21 macrumors member

I'm hoping they'll change the anti-glare option on the display to have a black bezel instead of a silver one. I think the current option looks weird. (Though I really would love if the stopped with this whole "glossy/reflective" display stuff.) Also, I'm thinking 16:9 is in the mix so that will change the "shape" of the whole laptop.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And higher prices. :p

20. enberg macrumors regular

The 15" 2.66GHz MBP is actually 73 USD cheaper in the uk apple store when you discount VAT.