Chances of new ML build at WWDC?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by frederikolafsen, Jun 6, 2012.

1. frederikolafsen macrumors member

I was trying to look up WWDC history to find out how likely it is that Apple will release a newer, and more feature-complete build of ML to developers. Any ideas? I could see Apple revealing new features or apps for ML at WWDC and hopefully devs will get a chance to use them the same day.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Hasn't apple been regular with releasing ML builds? If so I don't see the need for a special WWDC build since they're giving the developers builds as they see the need.

3. ps3zocker macrumors regular

They ARE going to release a new preview of Mountain Lion at WWDC ;) They did it last year, they'll do it this year. And this build will probably include Retina display support ;)

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Very likley.

Very unlikely - they aren’t going to be adding anything major to a DP this late in the game. There just isn’t enough of that there right now.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i gave up reorganizing my icons in Lion.

i still don't understand how after 4 updates apple hasn't fixed this issue which is annoying as hell.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Count on it.

Will ML go to the same 13.0.0 Darwin kernel as iOS 6.0?

I'm sure the stuff that couldn't be put in because iOS 6 wasn't announced
    will be put in.

7. frederikolafsen thread starter macrumors member

What sorts of improvements can be anticipated if Darwin is upgraded to 13.0.0?

----------

Sure, they've been regular about releasing builds. But that's not the point. I am wondering if they will release a build that contains additional features or apps (unannounced as of yet) during WWDC.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm trying to find out as well since there's a dearth of info about iOS 6.0.

9. frederikolafsen thread starter macrumors member

For those of you following this thread, if Apple were to introduce new features in Mountain Lion at WWDC, what do you think they would be? I think it's a safe bet to say that dictation will be included.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

• Maps (needs iOS 6.0 announcement)
    • Siri (needs iOS 6.0 announcement)
    • iCloud Documents in the Cloud
    • Airplay (needs iOS 6.0 announcements)

11. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

The previous build already had hiDPI mode added in and a bunch of icons updated to Retina quality. So to finalize the Retina support they would just need to keep adding more and more icons at a rate that will have them all updated by GM time and ML should be Retina rdy.

12. monkeyKing macrumors newbie

I'm not sure we'll see any new features, maybe not on the scale of those already shown.

I do hope it's released soon, but I can wait if they need to iron out stuff to make it suitable for release.

In terms of a new build. I reckon if it's not released on Monday then we'll see a new dev. build alongside iOS 6.

13. JangoFett124 macrumors regular

Lion already supports 2x resolution (Retina) displays.

14. pdjudd macrumors 601

I don’t think there would be any reason to do that though unless there was an iron lock on retna screens which is certainly not guaranteed whatsoever. Besides, there would be a lot more than icons that need updating. Sorry, they may be putting the seeds in, but they aren’t going full out unless they can cut the fat somewhere else.. I don’t see it.

15. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Other than icons, what needs updating that isn't covered by the HiDPI mode in ML?

16. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Oh there will most certainly be a new build released during that week, probably the last major beta (DP 4) before final RTM. I'm sure there will also be a tiny update build released a few weeks after DP 4 though, just like there was for Lion.

17. pdjudd macrumors 601

Other graphics I suppose. OSX is more than just the icons. The fact that Apple hasn’t done it yet indicates to me that either there is a lot of items or they are doing limited work with them.

I believe HiDPI is already in Lion to a limited degree - it’s not a secret that they have done it already. I wouldn’t look much into it without some more overt evidence.

18. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

We'll probably see a GM build at WWDC. Don't count on it having many more features than current builds though. Things like dictation/Siri will almost certainly be for 2012 Macs due to hardware limitations.

19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

We'll see a build, but it won't be the GM.

20. frederikolafsen thread starter macrumors member

I just have this feeling that Tim Cook could say "we want to talk about 10 new features of Mountain Lion..." and then unveil some new ones. I don't know - maybe it's wishful thinking.

21. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Because they may announce iOS 6.0 tentpole features there is a chance that some things are added to Mountain Lion that couldn't be divulged before because that would have leaked iOS 6.0 features.

I eagerly await monday.

22. frederikolafsen thread starter macrumors member

Same here, buddy. Should be a good show.

23. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

We will most certainly not see any golden master version of OS X Mountain Lion at WWDC'12. Mountain Lion is far from being ready for prime time, yet.

I do hope we'd get some newly announced features though, as Mountain Lion doesn't pack a whole lot. But I guess it's supposed to be a maintenance / optimisation release thus not packing a hell of a lot of features.

If Apple is aiming for a mid-summer release (which basically means July 2012) adding brand new untested features at this date seems somewhat awkward if they are hoping for a mid-summer release. But who knows.

24. Cougarcat macrumors 604

They are aiming for a late-summer release.