Chances of selling out?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by April Knight, Mar 7, 2012.

1. April Knight Suspended

I currently am lined up with somebody to sell my iPad 2 to them on Saturday. I am wondering: should I just go ahead and order my iPad now (really don't want to, as that'd leave this college student rather broke until Saturday) or would I be safe to wait until Saturday to pre-order?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

the 3/16 delivery date won't last long, it will get pushed out 1-2 weeks i think. I would pre-order now and have someone loan you some money so you can get by.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Chances of selling out?

Probably pretty high. I'd recommend on pre-ordering asap to make sure it ships by the 16th.

4. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

They're not going to charge your card till next week when it ships anyways

5. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Incorrect, they already charged me for the iPad, although not yet for the Apple TV. (both preordered at the same time)

6. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Chances are it will be sold out tonight/tomorrow morning.
    Proof? Look at how the servers crashed. -_-

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

I doubt it. Apple don't charge until they ship the product in my experience. What they do is put a temporary hold on the amount to make sure you have enough funds. Why they haven't done that for your Apple TV I don't know.

8. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

In the OP's situation a hold would be equivalent to taking the money out. It wouldn't be removed, but you wont have access to it, and if the money wasn't in the account the order either wouldn't go through, or will be penalized through the bank. (i imagine OP is only concerned with not having money until Saturday in his account)

And i'm not sure about the ATV either, they removed the full price and tax from the hold, perhaps they'll process the orders separately as my invoice clearly has the ATV listed.

To the OP: i'd say go ahead and go for it if you have enough, and for sure have your old iPad sold. I doubt they'll be able to guarantee the 16th delivery through the weekend.

9. jp700p macrumors regular

Heres why they will sell out very quickly:

- People who didn't buy the iPad 2 because lack of Retina display. Well, now they all have a reason to get this one.

- Parts are not easy to come buy. With the global economy picking up, parts are being pumped out as quickly as possible, but all companies want parts for there electronics (Sony Vita, Samsung phones.. etc..)

- The retina screen is difficult to manufacture in large yields. Don't expect mass production of these for long after launch.

10. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Don't forget shipping from china isn't the easiest task either

11. zpilot macrumors member

I'm surprised the pre-order is still going on. Didn't the iPad 2 pre-order last a few hours for the initial shipment?

12. jackhdev macrumors 6502

They seem to be doing much better making enough products. I guess Tim isn't a fan of artificial shortages.

13. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

There was no iPad 2 preorder.

I also have a feeling that their inventory is MUCH larger this time.

14. Caraj macrumors member

i just ordered mine using a debit card and the money def came out of my account already

15. iDrew87 macrumors member

I think chances are very high as I would imagine a lot of first time buyers are buying the 3rd gen iPad just like myself and of course those upgrading.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

If past history is an indication they'll sell out very quickly. Also for those who failed to place an order within an hour of the store offering them, chances are high yours will not arrive on launch day. At least that's been the experience of those I know, who've hesitated.

Like usual, I focused on watching till the store came back online, not on the keynote. I enjoyed a very fast, smooth ordering experience. I've received confirmations & all that's left is to wait for delivery.

17. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

iPad 2 was a complete mess, no preorders, 5 pm on friday launch. Was mayhem, i'm so glad preorders were available this time around, i can sit at home and just wait for that package to arrive next friday :)

18. zpilot macrumors member

Thanks! I stand corrected.

19. badpinoy macrumors regular

it seems the hype has died down. you can now add a new iPad to your cart with ease.

20. ktmracer350 macrumors member

I have a very good feeling that the inventory is larger however with that being said I still think the 3/16 date wont last long. Just look at the iphone 4s in which was a more minor upgrade compared to the iphone 5 many people expected and very shortly after they went on pre-order they were delayed. I would pre-order asap and you'll probably have a hard time getting your order through now anyway as it took me about 15 full time to get through on the last step but, still had to order through another method and not online.

21. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

They authorize the funds for the full amount to make sure funds are available and then its put back into your account until its ready to ship..in a couple days you will see it back in your account. Atleast thats always been the case with me, with Apple.

22. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I've been charged already

Ok

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

24. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Oh ok. We will see

25. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

I don't think the new ipad will sell out like the last time. apple makes the ipad available to many countries on the same date, plus many more countries a week later. I think they already planned and mass produce for a while now to have this massive global launch. the last two ipad sold out quickly because of limited quantity with availability in the US only.

I will buy mine from Local Bestbuy. if I have any issue with the screen (yellow/tint), I can exchange for a brand new retail one. if you buy from apple, they exchange for a black box version.