Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lisheran

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
I didn't know where to post this and I was looking for some input. I posted my macbook on craigslist because i am debating on upgrading. It can be seen here [snip] I received some interest but it is a buyer from TN and is willing to paypal me the payment and pay for shipping. I have done more ebaying than craiglisting so I was wondering what the odds of this being a scam.

Here is the message from the buyer:

Is the Item still available for sale ? How much is the shipping cost via USPS to Memphis TN 38105 and get back to me with your pay pal email address for the payment including the shipment fee.

=

--
Powered by Outblaze

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's probably a scam -- who's loooking in Milwaukee local Craigslist listings from Tennessee with the intent of buying a notebook and having it shipped to them?

But if you really want feedback, you have to post the return message you got from the person who claims to be in TN -- not your ad. In fact, I'm going to snip your ad from your post as it violates our marketplace rules.

domcole

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Personally I would just put it on eBay because you will have more backup if something goes wrong.

lisheran

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
i was going to do ebay but i looked on there for a macbook with similar specs and it didn't have any bids with less than a day left.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thanks for posting the prospective buyer's communication. I wouldn't trust it, to be honest. In addition to the fact that you're selling a commonly available product at a not particularly aggressive price, real buyer aren't usually that forward -- the sort of "send me your paypal" before you've even disclosed the sale price is characteristic of scammers....

kennyli

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Hong Kong
Even selling in eBay is not 100% safe. Here is my story .........

I was selling a mobile phone in eBay. A buyer from the USA bought it and the phone is shipped.

A week later, the buyer contacted me again and said the phone is not working. Than he started a dispute in eBay.

According to the rule of eBay, he has to send the phone back to me with a postal tracking number to prove that the phone is retuned to me.

2 weeks later, the phone is not returned, but a registered mail arrived. I opened the envelop and it was empty inside. Nothing, not even the sender name and return address!

The reason why he send me an empty envelop, is to fullfill the full refund requirement of eBay!

Good luck!

lisheran

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
i think i will see if anyone locally wants to purchase it if not I will just stick with it.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
i was going to do ebay but i looked on there for a macbook with similar specs and it didn't have any bids with less than a day left.

With all of the various Macbooks being sold right now, and every day on Ebay - the ones that don't get bids are the ones with starting price set to high....

If you ask a reasonable price it will sell on Ebay. There is a lot of selection on Ebay - so you ned to be competitive...

nyry30

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA / New York, NY
I didn't know where to post this and I was looking for some input. I posted my macbook on craigslist because i am debating on upgrading. It can be seen here [snip] I received some interest but it is a buyer from TN and is willing to paypal me the payment and pay for shipping. I have done more ebaying than craiglisting so I was wondering what the odds of this being a scam.

Here is the message from the buyer:

Is the Item still available for sale ? How much is the shipping cost via USPS to Memphis TN 38105 and get back to me with your pay pal email address for the payment including the shipment fee.

=

--