Chances on a free repair for a 2007 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JMS803, Jun 16, 2012.

1. JMS803 macrumors member

The casing on my pre-unibody pro is starting to separate again, with the right corner of the palmrest starting to lift from the chassis. The computer works fine, but the casing is not in the best cosmetic shape, with scratches and such.

This machine has been in the shop at least 3 times, one of which was returned with bent casing, so it had to be sent back. Any chances they'll replace the casing free of charge? I'd like to resell this thing soon, so a clean case would go a long way.

I'm thinking about taking pictures of it and calling in, as the call support seems to be much better than the genius bar.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It might be worth a shot, but the chances are very small, IMO.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unfortunately, I think your chances are slim to none. Your Mac is too far out of warranty or AppleCare coverage. While you might get a generous rep at the Apple store, I certainly wouldn't count on it.

4. JMS803 thread starter macrumors member

yeah I mean, I don't even know if they stock parts for these anymore, but I figured there would be no harm in trying, and that the past repair history might help.

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You probably can just reclip the case yourself, if you have a few tools. That area is the toughest spot to clip, but it's made easier if you have a putty knife handy.